How to build a CO2 regulator for your calcium reactor.

Here is one from eBay same one I have 271920634351

Thanks Danny. Offer made. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Right now my reactor ph is between 6.46 and 6.49 so I'm pretty happy. I just want more control. All my control seems to be from the reg right now and I can't really slow it up. I'll try the different valve and we can see how it goes.

Thanks Danny. Offer made. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Right now my reactor ph is between 6.46 and 6.49 so I'm pretty happy. I just want more control. All my control seems to be from the reg right now and I can't really slow it up. I'll try the different valve and we can see how it goes.

Use an Apex if you have one

Finally finished my build, everything was purchased on eBay with the exception of the burkert 6011 that came from an RC member and the CGA-320 that I got from my local airgas. I opted for brass on the CGA as I couldn't justify spending $30-50 for that piece. Without further ado here it is. I'll post up the eBay items I used later today.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443546982.674663.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1443546992.681652.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1443547001.602954.jpg

FYI, mine has been rock solid these past couple months!
Even changed my co2 tank with a fresh one this week and when i hooked it back up i just opened the main valve on the reg till the pressure on the low range gauge was back to where it was before and BAM... reactor ph went right back to where it was supposed to be.

i-tGfND8R.jpg

That brass CGA fitting is such an eye sore on such a beautiful stainless steel reg, change it out.:spin2:

Finally finished my build, everything was purchased on eBay with the exception of the burkert 6011 that came from an RC member and the CGA-320 that I got from my local airgas. I opted for brass on the CGA as I couldn't justify spending $30-50 for that piece. Without further ado here it is. I'll post up the eBay items I used later today.

View attachment 329812View attachment 329813View attachment 329814

Dennis I know you are using hoke needle valve. How you like that.
Is It very sensitive so you can easily manage bubble count.

FYI, mine has been rock solid these past couple months!
Even changed my co2 tank with a fresh one this week and when i hooked it back up i just opened the main valve on the reg till the pressure on the low range gauge was back to where it was before and BAM... reactor ph went right back to where it was supposed to be.

i-tGfND8R.jpg

^^^ I agree it's the medium flow. I didn't think of it much because it was listed by Alan.

I think I have to go shopping again for a low flow.

Anyone interested in selling their regulator. If you have extra or don't need it any more please pm.

Doesn't have to be too expensive. I can build another one but if I am spending 250 again I want to try the aquarium plants carbon doser.

View attachment 329812View attachment 329813View attachment 329814

As promised, here are the parts I used, links for items still available on eBay and what I paid with shipping.

Parker Regulator $109.95

Parker Metering Valve $30.00

Hoke® 1/4" Tube OD x 1/8" NPT Male Pipe Thread 90° ELBOW $7.95

Swagelok 1/4" SS Port Connector Assembly $7.30

Superlok 1/4" X 1/8" Reducing Street Elbow $19.00

Burkert 6011 (From rimless75g) $48.00

Brass CGA-320 (Purchased at my local airgas) $8.00

Swagelok Pipe Hex Nipple,1/4 in. Male NPT SS-4-HLN-2.00 (No longer availbable on ebay) $8.00

For a grand total of $238.20 and I still need a $5-10 adapter. I was hoping to keep it under $200, but this should be well worth it in the long run.

Last edited:
Dennis I know you are using hoke needle valve. How you like that.
Is It very sensitive so you can easily manage bubble count.

It is a bit sensitive, I think it's a medium flow.
But it's fine. I adjust the valve so it's close, then I make fine adjustments with the big regulator knob. Right now it's sitting at about 8 psi. By making slight adjustments i can easily change my reactor ph to whatever I want.
If I did it again, I'd look for a less sensitive valve but I'm not having a problem with this one.

And btw, I was using the aquarium plants carbon doser before this.
Never had a problem with the AP, but this setup is obviously at a whole other level of quality and just as easy to regulate.

Anyone know what this piece called? Been searching on eBay but couldn't come up with a correct part. Circle in red below. Thanks for your help.

9094f1ce8b74fbba6267713da0e7e384.jpg

Back