I live by the ocean

Tamiescuage

I live right by the ocean. Is it ok to just put some shells and things from the ocean in my tank?
Cant find a straight answer anywhere.

In some areas there is restriction on removing things, especially live ones, from the seashore. If it's just collecting shells after a storm, probably no problem. They wouldn't likely hurt the tank, but they'll go algae colored after a very short time, whatever your prevailing algae is. All mine are dark red.

If I lived close enough to the ocean, I would totally just circulate ocean water with a pump to my tank.

^^ If only it were that easy!
Even our local public aquarium filters that ocean water as it has contaminants.
You don't list location so not sure what permits may be needed, and also keep in mind cold water creatures don't do well in our warm tanks

^^^^ except that you'd have to worry about parasites, infections, and all sorts of other nasties coming in from the water. Also disparate water temperatures, etc.

OP, depends on where you live. First you have to check local collection laws. If you are allowed to, then you can (but I'd do something to take care of pollutants, algal spores, etc.).

^^^^^ THIS! So true.

If I lived on an island with the sea a foot away from my tank I'd still make my own water.

Because the fish and coral are used to the local parameters. Your fish aren't. And it's not just a one way thing. You run the risk of introducing Caribbean parasites/diseases into Pacific waters (where few things have an immunity/appetite for them) if you change the water in your Caribbean Biotope tank with Pacific water, and dump the waste water back in the ocean.

Wow, you'd think local water was all just toxic chemicals and bad bugs!

Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't use local water either. But it's really not as bad as you are making it out to be. I've been putting 'stuff' from the Gulf of Mexico and the Florida Keys into my tanks for 10 years and I've never had any issues with toxins or parasites. You are just as likely to get them on a friend's coral frag. Maybe even more likely!

To the OP's question, shells that are clean (inside and out) shouldn't be a problem. But it won't take but a few days to a week and they will start to turn green. Take a small glass (like a shot glass) from your kitchen and put it in your tank. See how long it takes to start looking like something you don't want in your take.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

I wonder how fish & coral survive in the wild

In the confines of a tank, fish are not able to "escape" parasites like they can in the ocean. Ocean fish are not stuck in boxes, where the parasites can quickly multiply and overtake anything living.

i find it "funny" that people from the mid-west advise against using NSW....i've been using it since about 1982.

X2

I have been using it for 21 years without an issue.

Fish & coral come from the ocean!

Well doggonnit, silly us!

This whole time I thought people grew out corals from the ocean, maricultured them in a cleaner healthier system, fragged them, repeated this process multiple times, and then sold them to me, where I dipped and cleaned them, put them in my system and grew them out and then fragged to others.

Coral come from the ocean! I learn something new everyday on this site

Well doggonnit, silly us!

This whole time I thought people grew out corals from the ocean, maricultured them in a cleaner healthier system, fragged them, repeated this process multiple times, and then sold them to me, where I dipped and cleaned them, put them in my system and grew them out and then fragged to others.

Coral come from the ocean! I learn something new everyday on this site

glad we could help.....fyi, maricultured is done in the ocean. i've been to maricultured farms that were 1 mile from shore.

Back