Oceanic 37g Radion growth thread

Filling in nicely!
How long has the tank been running?
What intensity level do you have your Radion at?
I've got mine at 50% intensity, at 12K setting, and my Ritteri anemone hasnt moved. The Radion replaced dual 250 watt XM15K bulbs.

Nick

awesome growth!!

Thanks, its really starting to take off.

Filling in nicely!
How long has the tank been running?
What intensity level do you have your Radion at?
I've got mine at 50% intensity, at 12K setting, and my Ritteri anemone hasnt moved. The Radion replaced dual 250 watt XM15K bulbs.

Nick

Nick, I moved it to 75% last week.
Very happy with the results thus far. Most Sps has been in since late nov thru mid jan. set up tank in oct.
Interesting to here about the Ritteri and how it adjusts to the switch. I believe it will be moe sensitive than the corals.

I dont think the anemone will be more sensitive, just faster at showing that it's having an issue with either too much light, or not enough light by either panning for light, or contracting to reduce surface area. The fact that it hasnt done either tells me that I got pretty close with the setting of 50% intensity to replace the dual 250 watt XM15k's.
I knew they sucked for PAR, but didnt realize how bad....

I'll probably be bumping up the intensity by 5-10% sometime this week to see what happens.

I also just pulled the trigger and ordered two more Radions to replace the dual 250 watt Phoenix 14K's (run by an HQI ballast) over my 120. This will get rid of all halides over my reef, and hopefully, reduce the electrical bill significantly.

I figure I'll start those Radions with the same program, but have the intensity set at 80% to begin with and go from there as needed.

How high up off the water do you have your light?

I just measure with the one over the 58 and its about 9 inches, (Measured from the fan case to the water surface, so the lights themselves will be about 1/4 inch higher...

Nick

looks awesome! can't wait to get my 2 radions in a few days.
Congratulations you will be very pleased.

I have not had much time as of late but will try to do some new shots and an update soon. Have had good growth continuing even as I have done very little with the tank in months aside from general maintenance.

I have not posted since mid April so I took some quick shots today..sorry about the quality of the photos. I have had a red bug problem since mid April and have not dealt with it as of yet. I plan on using Interceptor once I can get a hold of some. The corals have still been growing and fairing well through this time period although the infestation is worst and affecting them more so now. Unfortunately I have been slammed and unable to spend much time with the tank other than a bi-weekly water change and the regular daily feeding and dosing. I am very impressed with the continued growth and color of the corals so I hope this update is helpful to those interested.

Hawkins has finally started to grow
12/2/11
5ded3c9c.jpg

6/26/12
d17d8a4b.jpg

Purple Tip Stag
11/18/11
63f878bf.jpg

6/26/12
147b7cec.jpg

1ddbc9f6.jpg

More coming on next post

Blue Mille --I have a frag much larger than the original that I took as it was fighting the Purple tip Stag..
11/18/11
95b3c03b.jpg

6/26/12
edf7691b.jpg

Frogskin
11/18/11
6379b535.jpg

6/26/12
6dc6d9c4.jpg

Hyacinth
1/7/12
f2537a8f.jpg

6/26/12
721e780d.jpg

Ponape
11/18/11
22ee753d.jpg

6/26/12
64c0d13c.jpg

Cali Tort
1/7/12
72919376.jpg

6/26/12
9212e0da.jpg

Pearlberry
1/7/12
036647d2.jpg

6/26/12 really nice color not showing great in the picture but a nice change
910fbce4.jpg

Purple Stylo
2/28/12
9998390c.jpg

6/26/12 Grows like crazy--great polyp ext and color
56dca439.jpg

Tri color Nice growth and coloring up very well
2/28/12
0d71217f.jpg

6/26/12
ab7462d1.jpg

FTS
6/26/12
7ccf01c3.jpg

My yellow Assessor is a ham
eb8ceb9f.jpg

There are many more corals I usually post for growth comparison but I'm afraid my time is kind of short.

Looking sweet guy! Tank has really progressed well and you are getting great growth and color despite the pests. What intensity do you have the Radion at now?

Looking sweet guy! Tank has really progressed well and you are getting great growth and color despite the pests. What intensity do you have the Radion at now?

Ange thanks, the pests are truly a pain. The acros affected show no PE and the color is affected as well as the growth too. Just can't find any interceptor at the moment. I have been very hands off for two months but the tank is rolling along. I got some algea on the green orange tip Birdsnest that i missed and that has some die off on it that I will probably need to trim but otherwise everything is good. Lucky that coral grows like a weed anyway. LOL.

I did order some new toys with a Profilux doser and a battery back up. I'm going to run the mp10 and the radion on the back up. It's the proprietary ecotech one. Really looking forward to no more manual dosing. Should be in by next weekend and I'll post some pics of the new toys.

Just survived a 36 hour power outage in northern Va. Used a balttery operated air stone and lost nothing i feel very lucky. It was nerve racking! Also had a Black and Decker electricromate that I powered my mp10 with that a neighbor loaned me after 20 hours. Funny thing is I have had a battery back up on order and it came in today after my power came back on. I have immediately plugged this puppy in and will worry about the permanent set up later. Our area is still 30% out so I'm not going to wait. Hope no one has any losses as I know the storm hit a wide area in the mid Atlantic states..

Just survived a 36 hour power outage in northern Va. Used a balttery operated air stone and lost nothing i feel very lucky. It was nerve racking! Also had a Black and Decker electricromate that I powered my mp10 with that a neighbor loaned me after 20 hours. Funny thing is I have had a battery back up on order and it came in today after my power came back on. I have immediately plugged this puppy in and will worry about the permanent set up later. Our area is still 30% out so I'm not going to wait. Hope no one has any losses as I know the storm hit a wide area in the mid Atlantic states..

That's pretty impressive! Really glad everything made it through and really gives me incentive to get that battery backup and a generator now that hurricane season is here.

LOL....

Sorry you had to go through the freak out session...but no doubt you'll find that now you have the back up power suppply, you wont lose power for more than 30 minutes max.

Back in 06 we had a monster storm knock out power to most of StL. I was one of the ones who went out and bought a Generator so that I could run the tank and other essentials around the house.

I ran it for about 24 hours and the power came back on.
We havent been out of power for more than 2 hours since I've had the thing....

:D

Its worth it just for the piece of mind....

Back