Our 400 Gallon In Wall Natural Sun-Lit Reef"

Beautiful tank, I love the natural lighting.

Thank you!

I would be tempted to add some Blue actinic lighting. Some LEDS, or T5 Strips... Could really turn it into a WOW factor IMO. :)

I'm still thinking about some LED lighting, not quite sure what I want to do.

If you and your wife make a pilgrimage to the home town of Rush, come see Nineball's tank.

Thank you Mr Wilson we would love to see it, RUSH is playing tonight at the Air Canada Centre. I wish my wife was well enough to travel. We have seen them many times in Toronto, last tour we played golf at Glenn Abbey and went to the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Hoping my wife feels well to travel next June, planning to see RUSH in Berlin, Germany and at the Sweden Rock festival.

what a great concept and great tank.. love seeing things like that that are really unique to the hobby

Thank you!

Thank you Mr Wilson we would love to see it, RUSH is playing tonight at the Air Canada Centre. I wish my wife was well enough to travel. We have seen them many times in Toronto, last tour we played golf at Glenn Abbey and went to the Hockey Hall of Fame.
Thank you!

Wow, you really did get the full Canadian experience :)

It sounds like you have the "Where is Rush Playing Now" APP :)

Nineball is less than a mile away from Glen Abbey. Stop in next time.

Peter (Nineball) goes golfing with Roger Waters once a year when he is in town.

Hi everyone, here are a couple new pictures.
IMG_1287.jpg

IMG_1289.jpg

IMG_1124.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

IMG_1155.jpg

IMG_1181.jpg

IMG_1185.jpg

IMG_1189.jpg

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1213.jpg

Thank you! You need to come by and see it again. How is your tank coming along?

Its coming along. I am plumbing now for the fresh water test before i move it into the house. I still have to finish the floor, run the electrical, and finish the stand.

Trying to decide what to do next.
More coral, this is a must
More fish? Yes, but what to add next?
Apex or Digital Aquatics RKE
Auto top off system – Tunze Osmolator or diy from autotopoff.com
Supplemental lighting- DIY, Reefbright, or some Par 38 bulbs

Other suggestions to do next?

Hi guys I have a little update today. I decided to add some multichip led’s for supplemental lighting. I’m going with six 30watt 14k led’s here are four of them, I will be adding two more, they should be here Wednesday.

IMG_1322.jpg

IMG_1313.jpg

IMG_1361.jpg

Very nice tank. Keep us updated on the cloth... interested to try the solatube design in future. Also, you may want to supplement with maybe more blue LED or Artinic lights so it will look even more awesome, especially at night... A moon light will be a nice touch too.

Most importantly, hopes your wife recovers fully!

Looking great!
Could you put up some info on your LEDs and what you think about them?\
Thanks, B

I just put them up they will be mostly used for night time viewing, I might modify them with a 20k multichip.

The Led info
Aquarium Reef LED Lamp 30W 14000K White (250W Metal Halide alternative Light) found it on an auction site for $74.

- Input voltage: AC 85-265V 50-60Hz
- Power consumption : 30W
- Color Temperature: 14000K
- LED quantity: 1pcs
- LED sources: 1pcs Epi-star 30W Module LEDs
- Material: Aluminium extruded sections
- Beam Angle: 120 degree
- Lights Size: 9in * 7.3in * 5in
- 2.65 lbs
- Certificated: CE and ROHS
- Warranty: 2 years
- 110V Plug
- 50,000 Hour LifeSpan (17 YEARS at 8 hours a day)

2 YEAR WARRANTY

What is your PAR reading with the NSL before adding any supplemental sources?

I still haven't had the par reading done, our reef club has a par meter I just need to find time to get with a club member someday.

Very nice tank. Keep us updated on the cloth... interested to try the solatube design in future. Also, you may want to supplement with maybe more blue LED or Artinic lights so it will look even more awesome, especially at night... A moon light will be a nice touch too.

Most importantly, hopes your wife recovers fully!

Thank you! The cloth during the summer months adds needed shading for the domes because they are so bright, I took the cloth off for the winter.

I'm trying to keep the tank looking at natural as possible I want to add very little artificial lighting, moonlight isn't a problem either the domes let that in as well.

I love the realistic daylight effect you have achieved instead of the excessive blue that some people seem to prefer. Everything in your tank looks amazing under this light regime.

Dave.M

Just read through the thread. Very nice, I always wanted an aquarium that was naturally lit. I almost bought an aquarium with your exact specs, deal fell through because I couldn't get the aquarium past the front door.

You were asking for suggestion of fish.

Maybe a group of anthias like sunburst
More butterflies like pyramid
flameback angel
moorish idol

I am sorry to hear about your wife. I can tell she is a very loving and supportive wife. I am sure you didn't want to continue this project after the bad news. It was her strength and the support of each other is how you two pulled through and it shows by looking at the aquarium. The time and effort is incredible for an aquarium that size. I know if that was me, there is no way I can accomplish something like that without the full support of my wife.

Back