Our 400 Gallon In Wall Natural Sun-Lit Reef"

I have followed your thread for awhile now and your system just gets better and better:) Do you use any other additional lighting? I ask because it seems you don't have alot of color in your corals/frags. Still great looking DT:)

Very good news and a beautiful tank as always. Cant wait for the Solar to take place. The electric company is going to end up paying you soon.

Thank you! I'm going to start with just power for the tank, I will add solar cells along the way.

I have followed your thread for awhile now and your system just gets better and better:) Do you use any other additional lighting? I ask because it seems you don't have alot of color in your corals/frags. Still great looking DT:)

Thank you! The tank is lit but the sun almost 100% of the time, I did recently add some 30 watt multi chip 14k led chips. Now I can see the tank when the sun goes down.

My year in reflection, it’s been a crazy year. I’ve been angry, mad, happy and sad, but I wouldn’t trade a minute of it. I’ve learned what’s important, it’s the little things, a smile a laugh, a simple touch from the person you love, walking hand in hand, a kiss during sunset or running to Space Mountain in the rain. Knowing someone loves you for you, makes what this crazy world has in store that much easier to handle. So as we approach 2013 remember to hold the ones you love closer and enjoy those simple little things.

Kelly and I wish everyone the best for 2013! Happy New Year!

This is just lovely! Thx for the many pictures. Best wishes for your continued success in the new year.

Dave.M

Wow ! Awesome tank! I have spent the last Three hrs reading and following your story! My hart goes out to you both!!! All my streignth from Edmonton ,alberta canada !! HAPPY NEW YEAR !:celeb3

This is just lovely! Thx for the many pictures. Best wishes for your continued success in the new year.

Dave.M

Thank you, same to you!

Wow ! Awesome tank! I have spent the last Three hrs reading and following your story! My hart goes out to you both!!! All my streignth from Edmonton ,alberta canada !! HAPPY NEW YEAR !:celeb3

Thank you, same to you!

Really cool setup thanks for sharing

Thank you!

Photo of the day!
IMG_1495_zps426f8ad4.jpg

Happy New Year. I really like the bright crisp white look of your sun-lit tank. It really reminds me of what corals and fish looks like when I am snorkeling and diving in the South Pacific.

I have a question on how often you on clean the sides of your tank due to "normal" algae growth and how often do you have to clean away the coralline algae. I can see that coralline grows really well on the back side of your tank.

Happy New Year. I really like the bright crisp white look of your sun-lit tank. It really reminds me of what corals and fish look like when I am snorkeling and diving in the South Pacific.

I have a question on how often you on clean the sides of your tank due to "normal" algae growth and how often do you have to clean away the coralline algae. I can see that coralline grows really well on the back side of your tank.

Happy New Year. I really like the bright crisp white look of your sun-lit tank. It really reminds me of what corals and fish look like when I am snorkeling and diving in the South Pacific.

thank you, my wife and I also enjoy snorkeling and we wanted a look as close to the "real" thing as possible.

Glass cleaning needs to be done about every 4 days because a white film begins to develop, coralline spots are removed as needed and s good cleaning us done about every 2 weeks

Fish of the day - Here is our Purple Tang we've had him for 12 years, named him "Culpepper" after Daunte Culpepper when he played for Minnesota Vikings way back in 2001
IMG_0710_zps5ef72e59.jpg

I love all the tangs in your tank! You have 2 of my favorites: the purple and powder blue.
How big is the purple tang? I'm curious since he/she is 12yrs old!

I love all the tangs in your tank! You have 2 of my favorites: the purple and powder blue.
How big is the purple tang? I'm curious since he/she is 12yrs old!

Hi Chris, He is between 5-6 inches and fat, he runs the tank! He lived most of his life in my old 150.

Hi jdpiii3, greetings from Indonesia! I tried to build similar sunlit tank, 480gal, glass roof not with domes though (imported domes terribly expensive down here). Being in other part of the world, down here with long rainy seasons lately I cannot get enough sun, so I am ended up with LEDs instead now... Tank just up for 3 months, still long way going... Inspiring tank you have here.

Just want to say you have a great tank, congratulations. And my prayers for your wife too.

Back