Our 400 Gallon In Wall Natural Sun-Lit Reef"

Hi jdpiii3, greetings from Indonesia! I tried to build similar sunlit tank, 480gal, glass roof not with domes though (imported domes terribly expensive down here). Being in other part of the world, down here with long rainy seasons lately I cannot get enough sun, so I am ended up with LEDs instead now... Tank just up for 3 months, still long way going... Inspiring tank you have here.

Just want to say you have a great tank, congratulations. And my prayers for your wife too.

Thank you! Thats one great thing about Florida, all the free sun you need glad I finally found a way to put it to use, the big idea this year will be incorporating a solar electric system to power everything.

If you haven't already start up a build thread, everyone here loves pictures!

Fish of the day - Flame Hawk Fish
IMG_1553_zpsa8dced7c.jpg

Thank you! Thats one great thing about Florida, all the free sun you need glad I finally found a way to put it to use, the big idea this year will be incorporating a solar electric system to power everything.

Wow! Great tank - this is seriously my favorite aquarium on Reef Central! Absolutely inspiring, fantastic job!

I do have one question for you about the Solatubes. I've read that some people have experienced diminished solar output after a year or so due to oxidation on their reflective lining (assumed to be from salty air). Do you think you might be experiencing this on your tank?

Wow! Great tank - this is seriously my favorite aquarium on Reef Central! Absolutely inspiring, fantastic job!

I do have one question for you about the Solatubes. I've read that some people have experienced diminished solar output after a year or so due to oxidation on their reflective lining (assumed to be from salty air). Do you think you might be experiencing this on your tank?

Thank you!

When I installed the sun-domes I discussed this with the company, they told me to install a plexi cover over the tubes, the tubes are sealed off from tank water and salty air and the domes come with a 10 year warranty. The only thing I need to do is clean off the collection domes about twice a year.

If you haven't already start up a build thread, everyone here loves pictures!

A solar electric would not only save money, but it was also be eco-friendly! What could be better? That's a great idea, btw!

Keep up the great work. Inspirational!!
And we know you guys were as happy as us when Rush made the R&RHOF last month!!

Maybe alternate between the two of them.

hmm, I'll check with the boss!

beautiful tank! best of luck to you and your wife!

Thank you!

I can't wait to get a big enough tank to house tangs!!!
How do you know the yellow is a female?

I have 8 total, would like to add more, not sure what will get along with the ones I have.

My wife wanted to name it Katie so...

Keep up the great work. Inspirational!!
And we know you guys were as happy as us when Rush made the R&RHOF last month!!

Thank you!

Actually, I think its insulting it took this long.

Last edited:
I want to run ozone

What's the best ozone generator?
Is it Clearwater Tech or Ozotech?
Or are there others I'm missing?

Last edited:
I have been running a Ozotech threw my skimmer with a DIY air dryer for almost 2 years with no problems.

It is amazing how clear the water is after installing it.

Back