Quieting Pump Vibrations

kaxt

I'm running a Blueline 40 HD as a return pump for my basement sump. The pump sits on a mouse pad directly below the tank and has about 7' of vertical head. I used Spaflex to run from the sump to the pump and then I used another 1.5' section of Spaflex to run from the pump to my PVC return plumbing. The PVC runs through a hole in the floor and then another hole in the lip of my DT stand before it goes over the top of the tank. The PVC rests on the edge of the tank glass and I can tell that even my canopy, which doesn't touch the plumbing, is vibrating. The hum I can hear throughout the first floor of my house is maddening.

I've tried resting the pump on a mouse pad, styrofoam, and a piece of yoga mat, but didn't notice a difference. I've put a piece of foam under the return plumbing that rests on the edge of the tank as well but it didn't get any better.

When I first setup the plumbing the hole in the stand and the hole in the floor were lined up perfectly and the pipe didn't touch any wood as it passed through either point. I filled the tank and leveled it and I think the stand got bumped a little bit and the pipe now touches both the floor and the stand. I jammed a strip of yoga mat around the pipe where it passes through the two holes but that didn't help either. I can not realign, or redrill these holes without moving the tank, and that's not going to happen.

I purchased a piece of vinyl tubing to replace the Spaflex but that doesn't seem to be any less ridgid at 1" sizing so I never ended up making the switch. Any suggestions on how to lessen the noise upstairs? I actually think the noise of the pump in the basement is less annoying than it is in the living room.

I would like to spend time this weekend trying to fix the noise. I would obviously prefer to not re-do all of my plumbing, but if I have to go that route I will. I also don't want to keep trying little things that don't make a big difference, I'm looking for one and done.

Thanks for any help! Sorry for the long post.

There's a kind of stuff looks like fabric made of b-b's, that is used as a non-skid material for throw rug liner. I folded that material about 4x, set it under the pump, same situation, no more vibration.

Use a razor blade to enlarge the opening side where it touches the stand. Takes a while, but you will cut through the layers eventually. Decoupling the vibration from the stand will be big help. Second, would also use a sound insulation wrap for the piping. Similar to the foam wrap mentioned by Shawn, but specific for sound. The foam pipe wrap is more geared towards thermal break.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. So having foam around the pipe might absorb enough vibration that it won't transfer to the stand and tank? Even if I can't get the foam between the pipe and the hole in the stand? I was planning to insulate the sump and the pipes anyways because my heater has been working overtime now that it's getting cooler. It would be awesome if I could kill two birds with one stone.

Sk8r, is this the stuff you are referring to? If not, any chance you can give me a better idea of what you are talking about?
http://www.amazon.com/Epica-Eco-Fri...d=1446145684&sr=1-9&keywords=non+slip+rug+pad

I can work on enlarging the holes, I was thinking about using a small file instead of a razor blade but was afraid of also filing the pipe. I'll try a razor blade, but there is less than 3" between the tank and the wall so it will be tight.

Quieting Pump Vibrations

I used a piece of silicone tube between my pump and the pvc pipe and it made a huge difference. The silicone tube is much much more flexible than spaflex or vinyl tube. I think BRS sells silicone tube in sizes up to 1", but I wound up getting mine from some place in China on eBay because I needed 1.25"

Back