Reef Octopus "POV" PRO-SSS-DC1 thoughts?

I think you will find the answer lies in the pump. :)

DC pumps cost more to make and are more versatile. What you will find is that the skimmer pump accounts for roughly 50-60% of the purchase price of a high end skimmer.

Cheers,
John

The RLSS int-6 uses the exact same pump but the body isn't exactly the same.

Starting to look good :)

Last Week:
8450787047_7184e1487c_b.jpg

This Week:
8471067653_cd434f0e2e_b.jpg

RO over RLSS - Volute design, gate valve, wine glass body (all one piece), pump - WL 3500 vs 3000

Wouldn't the gate valve be a con and not a pro ? The RLSS standpipe is silent . That gate valve would need some modding to cut down water noise .
It's one great looking skimmer but the running water level and that gate valve don't work out for my sump . Glad to see someone is enjoying the new tech out there .

Wouldn't the gate valve be a con and not a pro ? The RLSS standpipe is silent . That gate valve would need some modding to cut down water noise .
It's one great looking skimmer but the running water level and that gate valve don't work out for my sump . Glad to see someone is enjoying the new tech out there .

Noise isn't an issue for me. I always take the performance rout. I replaced the standpipe on my old skimmer with a gate valve too :)

How is a gate valve more noisy than a standpipe? The gate valve itself shouldn't really generate any noise.... Are you referring to the output flow causing noise?

Cheers,
John

How is a gate valve more noisy than a standpipe? The gate valve itself shouldn't really generate any noise.... Are you referring to the output flow causing noise?

Cheers,
John

Yep..
EG : RO skimmers run @+- 6.5 inches .My sump runs @ 9 . I would have to raise the skimmer and that puts the gate valve out of the water .
The RLSS has the standpipe with the exit water at the bottom . So in my case it would be a con on the POv dC1 as opposed to a pro.
Don't get me wrong . I am a fan of this model . :)

Yep..
EG : RO skimmers run @+- 6.5 inches .My sump runs @ 9 . I would have to raise the skimmer and that puts the gate valve out of the water .
The RLSS has the standpipe with the exit water at the bottom . So in my case it would be a con on the POv dC1 as opposed to a pro.
Don't get me wrong . I am a fan of this model . :)

Ahhh, I see. Yes, it is definitely nice to have the outlet submerged.

Cheers,
John

And what if price dosnt matter? I've had two atb's and would put this up against either in build and looks. Now if it would skim as good as the atb's I would be set. It's slowing getting there. Been running for a week and few days now.

Hey guys, one of my complaints about the SRO and Bubble King line is their large neck diameter. I simply think they are too large. Would you mind posting the neck diameters of the different models of these new skimmers?

After taking a look at some more specs, the air numbers themselves are extremely impressive. For reference, my BK 200 has an 8 inch body and is pulling about 1000 lph of air, while the DC1 is 6 in diameter is is pulling 900 lph. The DC2 is even more impressive, with an 8 in body and 2400 lph of air draw. I am less impressed with the DC 3 with the inch larger body diameter ( and probably a proportionately larger neck ) with the same pump as the DC2. Considering the problems that RE had with their line of controllable skimmers, I'm interested in seeing long term pump life results.

Back