The Bubble-Magus Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bubble-magus NAC5e is still breaking in. Been just over a week now I think but it is still overflowing into the collection cup. As a temp fix I've raised the skimmer about an inch and the foam canon has stopped and producing some watery skimmate. Going to wait for it to get dryer and then lower the skimmer back down. Using 3/4" schd-40 PVC to raise it up. It has become almost silent and I'd say slightly quieter then the psk-100h.

Beautiful bulb combo. I know a lot of people consider actinics a waste, but it does give a certain aesthetic look that I don't think the blue+ or superblue will give.

Blue+
Fiji Purple
UVL true actinic
Blue+

FTS-Nov29-08.jpg

Posting this from my tank journal thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=I8_kEGKA7VU

Took some video. It's of the nac5e starting up. I'm becoming very happy with this skimmer. The foam head is almost instant and is becoming consistant. In the video as I pan down you can also see the 3/4in pvc pipe I used to raise the skimmer up with. You can aslo hear, or not hear, how quite the skimmer is. With the top on you barely hear anything. What you hear in the video is basically the foam fizzing and the fan for the lights which you can hear before the skimmer starts up.

I'm also very happy it has a pinwheel on the pump and not a meshwheel that needs extra maintenance. I do still have some reservations on the longevity of the pump itself. So far as long as it keeps up I plan on running it long term. Also, there are 0 micro bubbles coming from it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Finally got the embedded code for the video link. This will make it easier.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I8_kEGKA7VU?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I8_kEGKA7VU?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

On youtube you really don't hear anything. You can hear the water bubbling but that's about it. There really is a humm that can be heard from the light's fan. That skimmer is just silent! :thumbsup:

It is in the sump so a little hard to measure, but I still think those measurements are about right. The 8.5 needs to be a little bigger since the intake is on that side.

The NAC5e is definitely broken in now but I still have it raised an inch and will probably keep it there. It really knows how to produce some foam.

bmskimmer.jpg

It's been about 4-5 days since I emptied and cleaned out the collection cup. I need to remember to empty it out sooner though as I don't want it to do that to much but I do have a bucket under it so it can foam right into that if need be but it didn't foam through enough to drip down. I also plan to rig up a float valve in the lid to shut it off if it ever does decide to overflow on me which it hasn't yet since raising it up an inch.

wow bro that is some serious skimmate. Seems as if it beats the previous two Skimmers you had before by a good margin.

It's certainly working better than expected. I think mainly it's sized right for my tank. The bubbleblaster octopus is still the most powerful HOB skimmer there is but had very little room for adjustments.

For the NAC5e I have the wedge pipe turned almost half way so there's plenty of adjustment there. Plus, its super quiet.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Ok so i got my nac7 wednesday and i must say i am happy with the quality and performace so far.It started producing a nice foam head yesturday and currently have the wedge pipe set at 4.But my question is where should i set it at?I dont want too wet or too dry but would like to find the "optimal" setting.skimmer is sitting in about 9 3/4" of water.i'd appreciate any info or opinions.
Thanks -Zach

I was wondering the same thing. I set my NAC7 up yesterday and it produced skimmate almost an hour after set up. Mine is sitting in 10" of water and I have the tube set at 4 as well.

anyone tried using a needle wheel in their nac6a or nac7? how is the performance between the mesh wheel? should i waste my time/money to buy one and try?

Ok so i got my nac7 wednesday and i must say i am happy with the quality and performace so far.It started producing a nice foam head yesturday and currently have the wedge pipe set at 4.But my question is where should i set it at?I dont want too wet or too dry but would like to find the "optimal" setting.skimmer is sitting in about 9 3/4" of water.i'd appreciate any info or opinions.
Thanks -Zach

I was wondering the same thing. I set my NAC7 up yesterday and it produced skimmate almost an hour after set up. Mine is sitting in 10" of water and I have the tube set at 4 as well.

Unfortunaly guys there is no sure fire number to get that perfect skimate. Trial and error is the only way to achieve what works best for each persons tank. FWIW I keep my 150pro at 3.4 in 8 inches of water and its a nice balance between that thick coffee and tea colored skim, but keep in mind the 150pro is a totally different animal than the nac7.

Last edited:
anyone tried using a needle wheel in their nac6a or nac7? how is the performance between the mesh wheel? should i waste my time/money to buy one and try?

Its my understanding that the pin wheel used on the BM100, the predecessor to the nac6 and 7, does not pull enough air to fully utilize the larger necks now seen on these newer versions of skimmers.
Do you have a link to a pin wheel for the nac6/7? If so I'd love to see it.

Last edited:
Well Last week I bought a NAC 6 and it was running great I was really happy with it, Then at about 1:00am this morning I am awoken by this loud clicking noise. I turn on the lights and no bubbles in the skimmer, I took it apart and found the impeller split in two. I put a new impeller in ( it came with a spare) and it works but not as well as before and now there is a constant hum and clic. so after turning it on and off a few times, and reassembling it a few more times it wont run quiet like it once did so i turned it off and went back to sleep. At my lunch I am going to take it by the store I bought it from and hopefully they can get me a new one quickly. After reading this thread I am hoping that I just had some kind of malfunction cause I really like the design and build but at one am I thought it was the biggest piece of junk out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back