Worm's S. Gig

I agree whole heartely... I have been watching it for quite a bit today.

I noticed it shrunk after the full lights came on at 25%.

Right now I have lowered them down to 15% and did a 100% water change.

I think it shrunk about the same time. I would have to go back and look at the camera though.

ALL last night it was nice and plump.

The above pics look good. But, the live feed I've been keeping an eye on, it's deflated now. IMO, still too much light. When I was qt mine, when they did that and I noticed, I killed the light for the rest of the day. To me, my mind thinks (may be wrong, don't know) if it's inflated, it's healthier/easier for the internals to "flush" the rotting/dying gunk/algae (the biggest hurdle to overcome IMO). When it sits in a pile like that, more damaging than good ( I would think any rotting material will just spread to good material it made contact with internally). I would think keeping the lights on the lower end would be better, get it to stay inflated 24/7 through all the cycles, then ramp things up to where you/it wants/needs them, once it stabilizes and remains inflated all the time. I know some say "let er rip" when it comes to gigs and lights as far as acclimation, but I've killed plenty trying it that way. Any other thoughts from anyone else?

Worm, do you know or did you notice, did it stay inflated longer yesterday than today, in regards to the light period? Or did it shrink the same time? Seems like it shrank earlier today. ?

I may have been one of those people who said "let it rip potato chip" when it came to blasting gigs with a lot of light, but I agree with your statement. For gigs that are acclimated and are thriving, I don't think they can have too much light.

HOWEVER, I think sick gigs are capable of only doing one thing at a time, and when sick they need to focus their energy on getting better, from an internal perspective. This means not exposing the zooxanthellae to a lot of light where the nem ramps up zoox production. This, of course is all anecdotal, but I now believe that with Cipro treatment, the nem needs to focus its energy on purging its internal contents. Cipro is used to combat an infection, and this infection is what I believe leads to dead zoox. For some reason the nem is not able to purge it in a normal fashion -- sometimes we see anemones with dark stringy stuff coming out of their mouths, which we believe to be excess zoox. With sick gigs, we see it purged as hard, black "rat poop" like particles, sometimes large, sometimes small. What we can agree to is that this doesn't happen with healthy gigs. For some reason, it stays inside the nem longer than it should. Very similar to constipation.

So, my thinking is, keep the gig under relatively low light during the first days of treatment, allow the Cipro to work, and once the mouth tightens or we see other signs of progress, then we can gradually give it more light.

The caveat to this is that I think there is a tipping point. Gigs that are too far gone never show signs of improvement with Cipro, while some don't need treatment at all and can be blasted with light right away. Those that are on the tipping point are the ones to focus on -- such at the gig in this thread. This gig looks like it's reacting positively to Cipro. It doesn't look like it has reached the "puffy pancake" state where without treatment, it will die and with treatment there is a chance it will pull through.

My suggestion is to keep the light relatively low, until it appears that the nem can handle more light -- no deflation, able to hold itself upright, etc. Good luck!

I agree with keeping lights low. I didn't feel like buying window screen so I used a couple sheets of Xerox paper on a plexi cover. After first 3 days of treatment removed one sheet, after next two days removed the final sheet. Gig responded well. Good luck with your continued treatment

OK I have since bumped it down to 10% it is is looking much better.

It defiantly does not like the lights yet.

Took a bit to upload this last night.

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Uzq9Qh-CI5E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

These time lapse videos are really good worm. What was happening at 1:45 mark when it shrunk? We're the lights coming on? You got a small clock you can put in the corner?

It was fully inflated at about 7:00 when the light turn out.
Best of luck. Hope he will get better for you.

These time lapse videos are really good worm. What was happening at 1:45 mark when it shrunk? We're the lights coming on? You got a small clock you can put in the corner?
That was when the lights came up and I realized that I needed to cut them back even more. Then even more again, later.

It was fully inflated at about 7:00 when the light turn out.
Best of luck. Hope he will get better for you.

Yes and it stayed inflated most of the night.

I think it is doing better a little bit each time. Just keeping the regiment going.

Thanks!

I'm so jealous! I've seen a couple Haddoni's locally, but never a gig.

That video feed is sweet. I got on it the first day, but didn't have time to comment.

I think it is looking good today, but trying to NOT be too optimistic.

Took some pictures a few minutes ago. Waiting for them to upload.

Will post them soon.

Here is one from the cell phone about 5pm (1700)

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QJoN4Dx8BHM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pictures still uploading plus a HD video from the camera.

Another one with the HD camera.

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TFZd6Cgdync" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

i-Lwd67XJ-X3.jpg

i-cD8JDnJ-X3.jpg

i-x2mtFBG-X3.jpg

i-2jmvGd3-X3.jpg

i-6h5GZtG-X3.jpg

i-nc7fH23-X3.jpg

Another one with the HD camera.

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TFZd6Cgdync" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm just going to set my laptop up behind my tank and play this on a loop...

I play but not that good. LOL... I had to drown out the kids yelling and screaming in the video, I made them touch the ritteri with the underside of their bicep.

I think they will now clean the house when asked.

Actually didn't want to hear the water sound. Was making RO/DI at same time, QT, HT and Dehumidifier running... LOL

Back