Blast From The Past

speaking of such things. Does anybody remember the 1980s reciprocating piston air pumps? They had one or two (can’t remember) cylinders connected to a crankshaft and motor. If memory serves, they were tetra or Hagen? I Think blue or green plastic parts similar to the 1950s or 1960s cast/pot metal piston air pumps.

speaking of such things. Does anybody remember the 1980s reciprocating piston air pumps? They had one or two (can’t remember) cylinders connected to a crankshaft and motor. If memory serves, they were tetra or Hagen? I Think blue or green plastic parts similar to the 1950s or 1960s cast/pot metal piston air pumps.
Very vaguely. There was a mom and pop pet store that actually got me into marine tanks and I remember something like that.

Yep, had one on a 90 gallon Cichlid tank circa 1986. Loud and I burnt it out with back pressure. Sould have been running multiple tanks not just one.

They were like this…. But not… they had plastic I think and a small pancake motor with a flywheel.
1688338841340.jpeg

Found Danner Supreme Dynamaster photos —- they look close, but I think they were belt driven, not gear driven like the dun masters I saw. Anyway, I had two and threw them away (years ago).

Mine definitely looked like this (dynamaster) with the arms that moved like a train drive. But somehow I think you were correct about the blue/green coloration so maybe Hagen or someone else had a variant of the same design.

piston.jpeg

Looks like Danner also had a turquoise color but these particular designs were not like the one i had.

piston2.png

Mine looked somewhat like the one on the right... but motor was def shorter and there were two belt driven pistons. I think the pistons may have had leather discs as rings. I looked and can't find any photos. We had one on the aquarium that I setup in the high school science room. I found them at a garage sales several year later... and NEVER used them. They clunked around for years until threw them out when we bought the house (20+ years ago) and I realized they were useless.

All pumps were piston pumps for decades. Vibrating pumps came out with you Millennials and are a new and noisy invention. :D

I loved piston pumps because you had to oil the piston so it added a very realistic Exxon Valdez oil slick.

I got rid of all of my old equipment when I stepped away from the hobby in 2010. Now everything has that new car smell.

I did keep the majority of my books, though. Some of these are from the 80s, so I guess you can call them a blast from the past.

20230304_110143.jpg

I’m actually in the process of putting together my a new system, and I’ve decided to use equipment that I’ve always wanted to over the 15+ years I’ve been involved in the hobby. A couple of noteworthy older pieces I’ve bought and will be using are a Vertex Mocean (think Sea Swirl for those unfamiliar), and a Royal Exclusive Vertex 250 Skimmer. Somethings where just better from back in the day.

This is reef related because I am in it and I was here the day they invented this hobby on a Tuesday about 2:00 or 2:30 in the afternoon.
I had probably just came back from collecting amphipods. :unsure:

This is me and my first girlfriend Georgia. (I was always a Ladies Man) I could really rock those shorts. That is my Dads 1947 Pontiac which is the only car my family ever had.

This is probably Circa 1952. :D

Back