H. Mag vs. WAV

Skeet59

:angryfire::headwally::headwally::headwally:

So I finally got the chance to get an H. Mag after not finding one for two or so years. Been in the dt for two weeks now. It started down low and moved as high as it could on my scape. Has been there until I came home this morning. At first glance everything looked fine and at second glance I noticed water looked super cloudy (no lights on yet). Low blues came on and I didn't see my new nem. Went looking saw it perched atop the WAV with mantle inflated. Well that's weird started looking closer and a large portion of pedal was gone, just totally gone. Immediately fired up the qt and pulled nem from dt. Treatment is underway but it's been a long day of massive water changes. Lost a fat head anthia, 2 bartlet's anthias, yellow tang, niger trigger, and still looking for other 2 bartlet's. So now that I'm done sobbing maybe someone can chyme in with what my odds are for mags survival? OrioN maybe?
Thanks in advance
BTW I still don't know how to post pics worth a damn

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 0
yet another example of why I put Hmags in an anemone dedicated tank only and with every moving pump/powerhead filter covered or screened off......

It doesn't look that bad.

If it's not sloughing off dead tissue, it might pull through. You don't need to treat it per se, as in no need for antibiotics just keep an eye on it. Without the bottom of its foot I'm not sure how it'll be able to secure itself.

I'd be more worried about the DT in terms of water chemistry and more specifically nematocysts floating around. Sounds like they got to most of your fish.

Yikes! That sucks! I am sorry that happened.

A couple of thoughts. When I was rehabbing sick/bleached/injured nems one thing I found that helps is to feed the nem regularly. I used 1/4” sized slices of washed silversides. I would feed until it regurgitated the last piece fed. And feeding was every other day. I also had problems with wandering nems in my DT. I solved that by feeding as well.

While they can live off of photosynthesis alone they are carnivorous and I found that by regular heavy feeding they would associate the location they were in with a good food supply and wouldn’t move as much. I had a starburst rose go from about 2” in diameter and so bleached as to be almost translucent to over 10” in diameter fully inflated. Here are some shots of her when I first rescued her from the LFS and after several months. Sorry I had to dig up the photos. And the Acans will grow 2-4 heads a month if you feed them as well. I was feeding the LPS corals when I shot this second one. As you can see the RBTA smells the food and has her mouth open as well as tentacles ready and the candy cane acans do as well. The bloody acans can be like weeds...

Last edited:
Sorry I forgot to mention that you need to do 50%+ water changes an hour or so after feeding and monitor salinity and nitrates very closely as you want as clean a water as possible. Yours has a good chance of recovery.

Be wary of freeze dried or oth shrimp with the shell still on as well. If silversides are a hassle or you are worried about the bones, precooked fresh shrimp from your supermarket are a good option. Get the small ones used in shrimp cocktail (not the big ones) as a nem should be able to take at least one per feeding.

It’s foot is unharmed, but thanks for the input. Power heads have been modified as well.

You said "pedal" which I inferred to mean pedal disc, which is the anemone's foot. But looking at the photos, it looks like the oral disc.

urticina_crassicornis5.jpg

Yikes! That sucks! I am sorry that happened.

A couple of thoughts. When I was rehabbing sick/bleached/injured nems one thing I found that helps is to feed the nem regularly. I used 1/4” sized slices of washed silversides. I would feed until it regurgitated the last piece fed. And feeding was every other day. I also had problems with wandering nems in my DT. I solved that by feeding as well.

You should NEVER feed an anemone with a damaged oral disc, especially when part of the mouth is injured.

Give the anemone time to heal on its own. You don't want the nem using energy to eat, and if you feed it too much, a nem with a damaged oral disc will have a harder time processing the food.

I think your nem will fully recover. Just give it time to heal. I've had both a magnifica and gigantea get chewed up by powerheads, and both recovered. The gigantea got sucked into a MP40, so much so that it stopped the motor. After removing it and waiting a few weeks, the nem as back to normal.

Be wary of freeze dried or oth shrimp with the shell still on as well. If silversides are a hassle or you are worried about the bones, precooked fresh shrimp from your supermarket are a good option. Get the small ones used in shrimp cocktail (not the big ones) as a nem should be able to take at least one per feeding.

Are you talking about cooked shrimp? Are you saying you feed your nems cooked shrimp? Like the ones that are pink? And you're feeding them the whole thing???

My mistake D-Nak. That photo definitely proves helpful in explanation. Definite tentacle and oral disc damage. Its still looking good in qt so I'm staying hopeful.
BTW HoTuNa I have another one on the way......

An anemone going on a walkabout is a clear indicator that it didn't like the conditions in the place you had put it. This can be light, flow, or the lack of a proper surface to attach Its foot to. Food however is rarely a factor in this with host-anemones.
Once you understand the needs of an anemone you can create the right conditions for it to stay in one place.

When it comes to magnificas I would closely adhere to Minh's (OrionN) findings:

1. A magnifica wants to sit on the highest point it can reach. To make the anemone believe that it is on the highest point, place it on top of a rock structure that is far enough away from the tank walls and other rocks that the anemone can't touch them. Magnificas also prefer to attach to rather smooth and exposed surfaces. Also, unlike like most other anemones magnificas don't like to put their foot into a cavity.

2. Magnificas like relatively strong, non-turbulent flow. So it is best to have it in the return flow of a pump rather than targeting it directly with the pump output.

3. Magnificas like to get a lot of light. So ideally you place it directly under a point light source.

If you follow this the magnifica should stay put in the place you created for it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back