Serpentman's 300g upgrade

I have the a very similar tang. It was sold to me as a orange lineatus tang, but I can find no reference to this fish anywhere.
The LFS showed me a pic of adult coloration in a book they had, deep blue with bright orange stripes.

Jeff,
Looks great!! i really like your clowns, what type are they? Not tomatos are they? they have another stripe.

At first that's what I was thinking Atlantic blue as well but it is now a purple color and the orange and yellow highlights are too different. This was the ugliest fish you ever saw when I got it. Pale white with yellow highlights. It took about 4mos to develop this coloration.

I posed this question in another forum and Ctenochaetus striatus (Striatus or Striated Bristletooth Tang) seems to be the closest candidate. Still waiting to see yellow develops on its dorsal fin.

Hey Padrino, they are Clarkii's. I am really happy with their coloration as they have nice bright yellow highlights. Although they are breeding, they are not that aggressive. Although they attack my tongs with no remorse, they leave my hands alone.

As i was looking at your response i saw the picture again (this time on a different computer) and right away i said ohhh those are clarkiis. They look really good. Glad to see everything turning out so nicely

Picked up an ORP meter over the weekend. Wanted to see how things looked and to see how my skimmer was performing. After 2.5 days of monitoring, ORP appears to have settled in at ~290.

Looks close but in person much more resembles the striatus. However, there is not belly pattern in front of the pectoral fins. I may have to wait until it matures to make a definitive ID.

Jeff, Thanks for giving us the tour. Love the 300 and the entire fishroom/mancave. Like they always say..."the pictures just don't do the tank justice". The "end view" is great. I am still working on the wife for a new Deep Dimension tank. lol

Thanks Kieth, it was my pleasure. Trust me, it definitely took some convincing with my wife, lol. Sometimes it came down to asking for forgiveness rather than permission, lol.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15258010#post15258010 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by serpentman
Sometimes it came down to asking for forgiveness rather than permission, lol.

Amen brother ;)

Came home from a business trip to a bit of an issue. I was running my heaters off of power strip connected to a remote relay which was signaled by my AC3. Well, the fuse on the power strip went bad so my tank was a balmy 72F when I returned. Everything in the tank looks just fine, some snails look stressed. Got everything dialed back in last night so I am to about 75F now. Need to rig a more reliable system for the future.

Any doubts about my recent bulb choice have been completely quieted. A buddy of mine (thanks Tony) that had access to a PAR meter came over last night to take some measurements and all I can say is 'Wow'!

These measurements were taken under 3 x 250W Reeflux 20Ks (with Lumen Bright Mini reflectors), 2 x 60" VHO Super Actinics and 2 x 60" VHO 454 Blue Plus bulbs. All the bulbs are exactly 7 weeks old. Values were rounded to the nearest 10.

PAR-Values-7-13-09.jpg

Looks like some good numbers Jeff. Things are looking nice in there. What ballasts are you running again?

Thanks Keith. I am running them on Galaxy E-ballasts.

I went on vacation last week and came home to significant growth.

Very nice PAR ratings on those Reeflux. It definitely looks like a nice choice. The "20k" rating they put on them kind of scares you. They dont really look like a true 20k, so I was hoping the PAR wasnt reflective of their 20k name lol. They look like a 15-16k IMO, with the ratings of a 14k. Nice results.... If I'd ever buy anything from CoralVue again, those would certainly be a nice choice.

Back