The Bubble-Magus Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can the BM100v2 take the Aquabee pump?Satisfied with the Atman (had this for over a year and my 60 gal. tank is doing well, with no reported pump problems experienced), just curious whether i can upgrade by fitting the BM100 with an Aquabee. Looking at the bm150, it seems its thesame skimmer except for the pump. Please advise.

Hi there.. Any advise why I cant get such a dark skimmate like most of people here? I have 60G Oceanic Illuminata with 20G high sump tank.. About 9-10" high water in sump.... I have Bubble Magus NAC7 running for about 2 months now... And one more thing, my display tank and sump are bare bottom.
All I get is very light color skimmate.. Nothing even close to being dark brown or green.. Is it mean I just do not have to much waste in my system?

All together I have 7 fishes... mixed corals.. rocks... no sand substrate.

Can the BM100v2 take the Aquabee pump?Satisfied with the Atman (had this for over a year and my 60 gal. tank is doing well, with no reported pump problems experienced), just curious whether i can upgrade by fitting the BM100 with an Aquabee. Looking at the bm150, it seems its thesame skimmer except for the pump. Please advise.

I am pretty sure that the Atman pulls more air. I asked Mojo once if an Aquabee would be an upgrade over my Atman and he said no. The Atmans pull more air so I would say it would actually be a downgrade.

bqwertpl, How wet are you skimming? I tend to skim on the dry side and get a nice dark scum. When it over skims (baffle issue) it is much lighter.

Has anyone ran their NAC6 without the bubble plate? If so, did it impact the performance any? My bubble plate looks to be cracked and blowing microbubbles out it causing alot of microbubbbles in the DT.

Mojo is wrong. The Atman uses a mesh mod for the most part, while the Aquabee uses a pinwheel impeller and yet still pulls a tad more air. If you did a mesh mod to the Aquabee it would be even more air however you will now have a possible chance with start up issues. Like any mesh mod would.

I am pretty sure that the Atman pulls more air. I asked Mojo once if an Aquabee would be an upgrade over my Atman and he said no. The Atmans pull more air so I would say it would actually be a downgrade.

Mojo is wrong. The Atman uses a mesh mod for the most part, while the Aquabee uses a pinwheel impeller and yet still pulls a tad more air. If you did a mesh mod to the Aquabee it would be even more air however you will now have a possible chance with start up issues. Like any mesh mod would.

Is there any way to get around the mesh mod start up issues? My 2nd impeller for my NAC7, in just a few months, broke last week. I put my spare mesh mod impeller in and it wouldn't start. Had the same issue with another mesh mod impeller. This skimmer skims great, but I'm really getting sick of having to replace impellers every few weeks and then not knowing if the next impeller will start or restart if power goes out.

WARNING!!!!!!

Just wanted share with You guys.. Got home about 3 hrs ago just to find out my 57G Oceanic Illuminata has milky water and all corals are closed tight and some of them dead.. I immediately start searching for cause.. and I found out that my Bubble Magus NAC7 was leaching electricity to my tank.. I have ground probe but I think it was to high voltage and probe did not save the whole tank.. All fishes are fine.. peppermint shrimp is gone.. I think most of the snails are gone.. they are still moving little but I do not think they will make it.. I also think my urchin is gone.. I did so far 15G water changes.. Will do another 5G in the morning. Also running carbon. This sucks! I am planning to contact manufacture and as well as Premium Aquatics in Indy, where I bought my skimmer. I am hoping that some of the corals will make it back.. but all the snails.. etc.. :( So just be careful. ATMAN 2500 PUMPS is for sure the cause of this.

This would be the reason why most prefer a pinwheel to mesh mod impeller. A pinwheel has far less issues. The down side is to get a pinwheel impeller pump that out performs a mesh/pump your going to most likely pay more for it.

Is there any way to get around the mesh mod start up issues? My 2nd impeller for my NAC7, in just a few months, broke last week. I put my spare mesh mod impeller in and it wouldn't start. Had the same issue with another mesh mod impeller. This skimmer skims great, but I'm really getting sick of having to replace impellers every few weeks and then not knowing if the next impeller will start or restart if power goes out.

I spoke with Tom Tran @ SoCal Tropical Fish Outlet (where I purchased the skimmer) asking if there was another pump I could use in my NAC7. He said he would ask the OEM. I told him about my issues with the meshwheels. He said that the magnets and impellers have been a problem and they have been working with the OEM to improve the magnets. So he's sending me a replacement magnet and meshwheel free of charge.

Ordered my BM NAC7 just now. Can't wait. Should I break it in with some white vinegar before putting it in the sump?
And why can't we just find a pinwheel that will work with the atman pump? why is that so difficult?

Ok, here is another question. For a 120g display, and 40g sump, is the $175 difference in the NAC-7 ($229.99) and BM-180CS ($405) worth it?

If it is, what is the difference? I don't mind spending the money if it's needed, but I could replace all the bulbs in my fixture for that (2x250 EVC's and 4x54w T5's), so it's not insignificant.

If noise level is an issue to you and you do not feel like messing with a mesh mod after 8 months or so then yes I would buy the BM-180CS. If your on a tight budget or do not care about noise level and modding an impeller buy the NAC-7.

Ok, here is another question. For a 120g display, and 40g sump, is the $175 difference in the NAC-7 ($229.99) and BM-180CS ($405) worth it?

If it is, what is the difference? I don't mind spending the money if it's needed, but I could replace all the bulbs in my fixture for that (2x250 EVC's and 4x54w T5's), so it's not insignificant.

If noise level is an issue to you and you do not feel like messing with a mesh mod after 8 months or so then yes I would buy the BM-180CS. If your on a tight budget or do not care about noise level and modding an impeller buy the NAC-7.

I have heard from some owners of the NAC 7 that they arent that loud. Does this depend on how it is set up? I have been thinking about getting one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back