what do u think of seaworld

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they are breeding in captivity- then their needs are being met.

They aren't naturally breeding. Some guy or girl jerks the male off and captures the sperm. Then they drop it in the overies or near the eggs. I have nothing against artificial insemination but there is a difference between that and having it occur with no direct human contact.

Cheetahs can run 70 mph and are kept in small pins all over the united states in places called zoos....whats the difference? Yea they don't need to run now because someone is throwing meat in the cage...whales don't have to swim as far because fish are thrown in their mouths.

Using common sense, keeping an Orca in an enclosed pool for entertainment is great for entertainment but horrible for the Orca. They need an ocean to have a normal life. They are intelligent mammals, not fish. Our aquarium fish have no clue they are even in an aquarium. There's not really a comparison since we're talking big+mammal, vs small+fish.

I would be more likely to go to Sea World if they ditched the Ocras. Time is not on their side.

Comments like this make me think... What do you guys want them to do with these orcas?!?!? There now locked into a facility, and there's a 99.9% chance of death if put into wild.... We've already made the mistake of keeping them, and we now need to take care of the animals we've taken in our care...

People need to understand that if laws like the California senator wants to put through will allow sw to keep the kws, but aren't allowed to let them artificially breed, or show them to the public... So how does this help anyone?

No one can see the animals, while sw can't make money for upgrades.... Which would probably even make the treatment of the kws more worse then now since they won't be able to make money from them, and their facilities will probably be neglected.

Using common sense, keeping an Orca in an enclosed pool for entertainment is great for entertainment but horrible for the Orca. They need an ocean to have a normal life. They are intelligent mammals, not fish. Our aquarium fish have no clue they are even in an aquarium. There's not really a comparison since we're talking big+mammal, vs small+fish.

I would be more likely to go to Sea World if they ditched the Ocras. Time is not on their side.

This is quite frankly not true.
Fish aren't the dumb animals with 3 second memories many people seem to assume they are, its nothing more than a myth.
They possess remarkable intelligence, and definitely are just as well aware of their confines and environment as any captive marine mammal, some more so than others.

I still remember my rainbow fish i had some years ago.
They were quite small and at a glance could easily fit in a small 5g tank, but the reality was quite another.
Confined in such a small space they became frantic and panicky, and kept flying into the glass at breakneck speed and would not stop, no matter what.
They didn't calm down and become content until I moved them over to a 27g tank, even though to them it was like putting a P. Volitans in a swimming pool.

So yes, fish can definitely know that they are in an aquarium, and not the ocean or a lake.

The survival rate of any animal increases with a decrease of predators. I would imagine SW does not allow other animals into the Orca tanks that would eat young Orcas.

The main reason orca calves are dying in the wild isn't from predators. They die from health issues.

They aren't naturally breeding. Some guy or girl jerks the male off and captures the sperm. Then they drop it in the overies or near the eggs. I have nothing against artificial insemination but there is a difference between that and having it occur with no direct human contact.

It's a mix of natural breeding and artificial. Artificial is only used in a handful of cases where genetics are being preserved.

Last edited:
Comments like this make me think... What do you guys want them to do with these orcas?!?!? There now locked into a facility, and there's a 99.9% chance of death if put into wild.... We've already made the mistake of keeping them, and we now need to take care of the animals we've taken in our care...

People need to understand that if laws like the California senator wants to put through will allow sw to keep the kws, but aren't allowed to let them artificially breed, or show them to the public... So how does this help anyone?

No one can see the animals, while sw can't make money for upgrades.... Which would probably even make the treatment of the kws more worse then now since they won't be able to make money from them, and their facilities will probably be neglected.

People really don't have much of a clue what else SW does. They aren't just an amusement park... lots of critical research is done there, and at their sister facilities. http://www.hswri.org/

This is quite frankly not true.
Fish aren't the dumb animals with 3 second memories many people seem to assume they are, its nothing more than a myth.
They possess remarkable intelligence, and definitely are just as well aware of their confines and environment as any captive marine mammal, some more so than others.

I still remember my rainbow fish i had some years ago.
They were quite small and at a glance could easily fit in a small 5g tank, but the reality was quite another.
Confined in such a small space they became frantic and panicky, and kept flying into the glass at breakneck speed and would not stop, no matter what.
They didn't calm down and become content until I moved them over to a 27g tank, even though to them it was like putting a P. Volitans in a swimming pool.

So yes, fish can definitely know that they are in an aquarium, and not the ocean or a lake.

You state that fish are intelligent, and are well aware of their confines. Then you state that they kept flying into the glass at breakneck speed and would not stop. That really does not denote that they are well aware of their confines-nor that they have the ability to learn to navigate them. What it means is that they have an instinctual fright response to being trapped, and lack the intelligence to overcome it.

If those fish would have hatched into that system, the result would have been very different. A captive born whale does not know that there is an ocean.

You state that fish are intelligent, and are well aware of their confines. Then you state that they kept flying into the glass at breakneck speed and would not stop. That really does not denote that they are well aware of their confines-nor that they have the ability to learn to navigate them. What it means is that they have an instinctual fright response to being trapped, and lack the intelligence to overcome it.

If those fish would have hatched into that system, the result would have been very different. A captive born whale does not know that there is an ocean.

Even humans are prone to having instinct override their rational and intelligent thought processes.
If a human being were forcefully locked into a small closet against his or her will, there would be a good chance that eventually the person in question would frantically try to find a way out.
Some people who have been trapped have even been discovered with completely bloody fingers from their ordeal.

The point I was trying to make, is that fish are as capable of understanding that they are in a small and confined space, rather than larger body of water such as a huge lake or river, as any other animal.
But as you say, if they were born in that small space, they would know nothing else, and that notion applies pretty much to every living being with a modicum of intelligence.

Thanks. I try to see if from all sides. The problem is that both sides won't be 100% up front. Some of the people wanting to free marine mammals will twist info to fit what they want, or make up 'facts' that aren't even true. They have some good points, like clearly the biggest space possible is best. That being said, 99.99% of activists don't understand what the best/biggest space really is because they aren't educated enough about the proper care of the animals. Usually (and this is just from person experience) when you offer to show them and talk to them about it, they come into it with such a negative mindset that they won't listen or understand.

On the other side, the parks can't really 'attack' back as they are being attacked. They will ignore and just keep doing what they do - educating and keeping people excited about animals to make sure we keep them around for the next generations.

Sadly, due to all of the 'attacks' and negative media many won't even openly talk about what they do for fear that the truth will get twisted and used against them somehow. Suddenly, the activists will turn that around and try to use the silence against them.

There is a lot of good going on at the facilities that most people will never know about. I'd love to see a big documentary about aquatic animal rescue and rehab to give people a look at the extensive work that facilities all over put into that. Sadly that makes no money, so you probably won't see it from a major production company. (Just like Shark Week moved away from education and excitement to promote attacks and blood.)

I'd love to be able to post pics and more openly talk about some of the animals we pulled in from the edge of life and patched back together. It would illustrate that most of the facilities out there are dedicated to keeping animals alive, not keeping them as slaves for profit.

If they are breeding in captivity- then their needs are being met.

That's what puppy mill owners say. There's more to life than having babies.

A betta *can* live in a cup - is it a "good" life? No way.

No matter what is said here, I think most people have already made up their minds. I do like hearing other points of view, but I won't be going to Sea World.

Plucking perfectly healthy orcas from the wild so our kids can ooh and ahh at them seems selfish. I may never see a blue whale in the wild, but I still respect them. I'd rather see wild whales/orcas over ones in captivity any day, but my world won't end if I never ever see one in my lifetime.

Last edited:
If, however, you can catch the attention of a person who thereafter will be in favor of wild cetaceans and care passionately about them---that in itself can matter to the survival of a species whose greatest enemy is us. Moby Dick was the standard of American concern for cetaceans until the popularization of dolphins in media and personal contact at the parks began to change that.

Mandarin Gobies should probably be left in the wild as well....but either way the world will not end if one chooses to put one in an aquarium. It is what it is.

It's just a name, but thanks anyways.

I get conservation efforts, for endangered species like pandas, but orcas in captivity? No.

It's just a name, but thanks anyways.

and avatar. There is no reason to glamorize the keeping of mandrins. They are better left in the ocean and no one should have one. Even the captive breed ones. Between culling, not eating and natural deaths lots of mandarins just so you can have a colorful fish in your tank. That doesn't sounds like responsible fish keeping.

I did not mean to cause a stir...just stating that everyone has opinions and this conversation about whales and such will not go anywhere...my apologies.

They're pretty, and so are horses, but I don't have one of those. Wow, what weak arguments if all you have to go on is a name and an avatar. Sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back