Mixed 500 gal. A.G.E. build. 12 unit LED Radion lights.

David,
I've had the best luck overall in eradicating aptasia with peppermint shrimp.
I dont feed them and actually underfeed the tank if I'm using them to remove aptasia. I want them hungry and searching for food. In my 58 gallon tank, I had an aptasia explosion. It took 5 peppermints about 8 days to completely eradicate them. Butterfly fish didnt work for me, neither did the nudibranchs. The explosion was caused by using Joes Juice on 4-5 aptasia. Within a week, I had north of 40.

When I had some hitch hike into my 120, I bought 3 peppermints and it took them about a week to remove the few I had in the tank.

Not all peppermints will eat aptasia. However, in buying multiples and keeping them hungry, I've found they are effective.

You can trap them and remove them when their job is done, or you can keep them in the tank and start feeding heavy again.
Will they eat the big aptasia

As usual I am late to the party. Sorry to what happened to you and your system. I am sure everything will come out ok. As for the aptasia, I use Aptasia X. The secret that I do is get the needle as close to the mouth as possible and slowly inject the solution. They gobble it up pretty quick and then the explosions begin.

There is no way.. too many

Sorry if I missed it, but what are you using the reactor for? Some reactors are made for larger media sizes. Some reactors come with a piece of plastic filter netting to cap the media so the outlet doesn't get jammed with bits of smaller media. If you are using this reactor with some sort of biopellets for nitrate absorption it is possible that you are not running water through it fast enough (fast enough for the reactor, not the media). Just some random ideas.

Dave.M

Copper and is fat and happy. He has been in tank for 4 months. He never picks at coral nor does he pick at aptasia. I added a file fish 2 months ago. Same with him he never picks at coral or aptasia. I think he did pick off my peppermint shrimp. I just added 2 more file fish last week.

Sorry if I missed it, but what are you using the reactor for? Some reactors are made for larger media sizes. Some reactors come with a piece of plastic filter netting to cap the media so the outlet doesn't get jammed with bits of smaller media. If you are using this reactor with some sort of biopellets for nitrate absorption it is possible that you are not running water through it fast enough (fast enough for the reactor, not the media). Just some random ideas.

Dave.M

thanks for pointing this out ill fix my post.
It is a biopellet reactor

iframe>

i'm using a biopellet bpr1000 Reef Dynamics reactor. After using this for 9 months i now have to clear the exit tube daily. Any ideas?

I've been having some issues with my gen 1's and have been tempted to go back to MH. I went through your thread last night and seen all the growth on your corals and colour that I'm going to give mine another shot. Your tank deffinately gave me some motivation.

Will they eat the big aptasia

IME, yes.

The trick is to keep them hungry and not allow them to eat much besides the aptasia. Feed the tank sparingly and they will seek other sources of food....ie the aptasia.

I honestly dont know how many peppermint shrimp you would need for a 500 gallon tank, but I used 5 in my 120 (48x24x24) to kill off a small infestation of aptasia, (About 5 aptasia that came in on live rock) and it took a couple of weeks....

2 weeks IIRC.

One trick I have heard of is to force feed the aptasia flake food. The peppermint shrimp will tear up and eat the nem to get at the flake food.
Just like many organisms we keep, they must be taught to do this. They must first learn to go after the flake food. [Not really that tough I think.]

Daniel. ;)

Update.. aptasia are getting eaten slowly but surely. Bio pellets are keeping nitrate and phosphate in check. Only if I could get bio pellet reactor to run without so much maintenance. I have to clean exit tube daily. Any ideas?

Great tank I'm thinking of similar dimensions, I was scrolling thru and read you had an air bubble issue with your original tank? Was it air bubbles inside the glass pane? I have an age tank that has two of these they didn't/dont bother me but i haven't ever seen another tank with them so interesting if yours had those also.

Aiptasia I've had bad experiences using juices I swore it made them reproduce more and more every time i used them. Not all copperband eat them but ask your local shop to find one that does, it seems like every store has one they know that does or ask them to put them in a tank with it to watch if it does.if so buy that one bit take it out immediately after all your aiptasia are gone because your lps will be their next target.

Great tank I'm thinking of similar dimensions, I was scrolling thru and read you had an air bubble issue with your original tank? Was it air bubbles inside the glass pane? I have an age tank that has two of these they didn't/dont bother me but i haven't ever seen another tank with them so interesting if yours had those also.

they looked like tiny air bubbles. A.G.E. did fix the problem. AGE said glass was coming to them like that and has addressed the problem with their supplier

Back