Mixed 500 gal. A.G.E. build. 12 unit LED Radion lights.

Have you seen this happen?. I have heard the theory and it keeps getting spread around, but I've not heard of it happen.

I have the reef dynamics reactor- excellent bit of kit. When I was once doing some maintenance on it, I forgot to turn it back on for almost a day. I foolishly turned it on without cleaning it and dumped a days worth into the tank. Corals had super polyp extendo and I had a mini bloom,which cleared in a few hours. I did nothing and it caused no problems at all.

I'm guessing some decent skimmers helped.

But it's becoming quite a scare story, with no real evidence that a power cut would cause a crash from this.

Mo

Very true what you say, unfortunately I have not see it but have been told by experienced hobbyists... I have been doing a lot of reading and research and the simplest way of maintenance is bio pallet with a recirculating reactor... But you people usually put you off as I have not see anyone been really successful apart from Krzysztof but then you only see couple of pictures and no info about it!!!

Thanks
Caspian

One thing about BP reactors is most people make the mistake of adding all the pellets in at once for their size of tank. I would start with 1/4 of the pellets and every 2 weeks add another 1/4 until you get up to your tank size.

Very true what you say, unfortunately I have not see it but have been told by experienced hobbyists... I have been doing a lot of reading and research and the simplest way of maintenance is bio pallet with a recirculating reactor... But you people usually put you off as I have not see anyone been really successful apart from Krzysztof but then you only see couple of pictures and no info about it!!!

Thanks
Caspian

So are you saying yea or nay on a bio reactor?

David I know many successful reefers that have tried bio pellets and have had disastrous experiences with them. Have you looked into the natureef reactors? They can control both nitrates and phosphates. A good friend of mine on another site has been using one for about 6 months now and has literally done 2-3 water changes during that time. His no3 levels are steady around 2 and po4 around .03 ppm. He says his tanks and corals have never looked better. If you want, I can send you a link to his thread on the other site and you can see his pictures.

Not sure how long salinity was at or below 1.018. But it was long enough to have half of my SPS and lots of my LPS and a few chalice's die

Check your ATO set-up. Quite often it is a failed float switch that allows too much freshwater to be added.

Dave.M

While at MACNA in Denver this year I came across a both displaying a couple of power heads.
Panta Rhei’s HydroWizard ecm63. it pushes 15,000 gph only using 120 watts, using true laminar flow.
I couldn’t resist trying something new, so I took one home,
So far I’m quite impressed with this pump. I remove all 6 of my power heads that I was using move the water in tank.
I now only have one power head in my 9 foot tank, This pump rocks every Square inch of my tank.

While at MACNA in Denver this year I came across a both displaying a couple of power heads.
Panta Rhei's HydroWizard ecm63. it pushes 15,000 gph only using 120 watts, using true laminar flow.
I couldn't resist trying something new, so I took one home,
So far I'm quite impressed with this pump. I remove all 6 of my power heads that I was using move the water in tank.
I now only have one power head in my 9 foot tank, This pump rocks every Square inch of my tank.

Those look huge!

Hydro Wizard ECM63. (HydroWizard medium.) Is about the same width as a mp60 4'' diameter And about 6" long. One of these looks way better then 2 mp60's, 2 mp40's, and 2 Koralia 8

The pictures I saw make it look bigger. Can you post a picture of it?

Not sure how long salinity was at or below 1.018. But it was long enough to have half of my SPS and lots of my LPS and a few chalice's die

Dave - Bummer. I am not trying to pile on, I make mistakes daily, but did your Apex not alert you to the low salinity?

My tanks are not nearly as nice as yours, but the reason I installed the Apex was so I could monitor Temp, pH, Conductivity and ORP as well as equipment status almost constantly.

Because, like I said, I make mistakes daily.:hmm5:

Man you all make me want to sell my house, and buy a shed somewhere and sleep on the floor so i can get one of these massive tanks. I love them. If i do that i would have my own Shedd aquarium lol.

Back