Scrapz's Ultimate Gamble 3x3 SPS Cube

A few more for the night.

Garf Bonsai - Finally was able to capture a proper picture of it. It's been one of the hardest corals to shoot/edit. Can't blame this OG piece for being that shiny though..
68XHn00.jpg

Pretty in Pink/ Lady in Pink - Forget. Don't know how I feel about this one, it doesn't seem eyecatching enough from afar. Maybe some LED will perk this baby up.
nMT3ZLN.jpg

Some flubber.
SM6VD4H.jpg

And a "blue" picture..

FsghYKd.jpg

i guess i´ll have to unsucripe from this thread... i can´t take it anymore...
again amazing corals and colors! pics looking amazing
Pretty in Pink/ Lady in Pink - Forget. Don't know how I feel about this one, it doesn't seem eyecatching enough from afar. Maybe some LED will perk this baby up.
i would take it anytime :D

Cheers,
Flo

Hey Scrapz, did you ever menton your light cycle? Time on and off, dimming, LED percentages, stuff like that? Thanks.

i guess i´ll have to unsucripe from this thread... i can´t take it anymore...
again amazing corals and colors! pics looking amazing

i would take it anytime :D

Cheers,
Flo

Heh, all these frags come from your way!

Hey Scrapz, did you ever menton your light cycle? Time on and off, dimming, LED percentages, stuff like that? Thanks.

Possibly..

My frag tank from front to back using a ati sunpowrer 6×39. Light schedule is basic 8 hr photoperiod. All on at 3pm and all off at 12am.

B+, KZ super purple, KZ super actinic (b+equiv), 3x b+

On my display is a diy t5/led fixtures. 2xb+ and 2x aquabluespecial.

RB leds on ramp to 95% for 3 hrs starting at 3pm
Blued leds ramp to 95% for 1 hr starting at 5pm.
T5 1 blue/white on at 6pm
T5 2 on at 6:30
T5s off at 2am 8 hrs 15 mins apart
Leds rampdown till 3am and shut off

Want to mention that this was a testing phase for led and it was quite unfair to results. I was using a glass shield to protect my t5s from splashing and the layer of dust that stay on that probably cut off 30% of the light output. The ab t5 bulbs were probably over a yr old and half the leds went out on the otort side and still pulled amazing color. Something about led just mimics what you see in mh grown corals, very rich deep coloring.

Last edited:
Thanks, so no white LED's just RB and blue?

Yup, white is for asthetics imo, dont need it to grow coeal. There have been too many bleachin incidents that ive heard of in association with white leds so I rather fill in that spectrum with t5s.

Yup, white is for asthetics imo, dont need it to grow coeal. There have been too many bleachin incidents that ive heard of in association with white leds so I rather fill in that spectrum with t5s.

What are your thoughts on purple (UV) say 400 and 420?

What are your thoughts on purple (UV) say 400 and 420?

UV leds die fast and like white can be way too intense too fast so no on those.

Uv t5s are really meh when compared to vhos visualy so tbh ive never really used them long term before swapping them back out for a blue bulb. The corals did fluroesence a little better in the time i used them but with royal blue leds nowadays, who needs uv pop?

I will begin to experiment with this a pure actinic combo vs a b+ combo on my next setup as ill be building 2 identical diy t5/led systems to be used right next to each other on the next system.

Heh, all these frags come from your way!

Possibly..

My frag tank from front to back using a ati sunpowrer 6×39. Light schedule is basic 8 hr photoperiod. All on at 3pm and all off at 12am.

B+, KZ super purple, KZ super actinic (b+equiv), 3x b+

On my display is a diy t5/led fixtures. 2xb+ and 2x aquabluespecial.

RB leds on ramp to 95% for 3 hrs starting at 3pm
Blued leds ramp to 95% for 1 hr starting at 5pm.
T5 1 blue/white on at 6pm
T5 2 on at 6:30
T5s off at 2am 8 hrs 15 mins apart
Leds rampdown till 3am and shut off

Want to mention that this was a testing phase for led and it was quite unfair to results. I was using a glass shield to protect my t5s from splashing and the layer of dust that stay on that probably cut off 30% of the light output. The ab t5 bulbs were probably over a yr old and half the leds went out on the otort side and still pulled amazing color. Something about led just mimics what you see in mh grown corals, very rich deep coloring.

3pm to 12 am is actually 9 hours. I have the same schedule for my radions.

Great results, Like Flo, I'm very jealous of your frags and colors!

My parameters have not been tested for over a week. I discontinued the dosing of magnesium because it seems my params have been out of whack since I've been dosing mag.

Everything seems to be doing ok but I am experiencing some color loss on a few corals. Could either be my params are off or the major detritus cleaning I did about a week ago. Seems the system is too clean, literally have no algae in both tank when the cube usually has diatoms on the sandbed. Going to try and up my feeding and try to get these nutes back in.

Some of my uglier corals for your viewing pleasure.

Wild Yellow - Seems to be losing some of it's yellow and turning a bit green. Grows at a very steady pace..
ppBZ7Ek.jpg

RR Unknown - Had this for over 3 months and the corallites are finally starting to change from green to pink. Tips look to be orange and a blue/green at the base. Know it's a nice rainbow RR piece since it came direct from RR but identification was mixed up. Will have to wait till this piece grows out.

The other RR piece to the left is also a unknown but it's getting some of the most wiked colors. Don't really know how to describe the yellow color but it is yellowish..
ROQZOOE.jpg

AquaSD Cherry Blossom - Bought a mini colony on my trip up to ASD 2 months ago. Thing pretty much RTNed overnight and stopped. Color has finallly changed from poop brown to a reddish brown. Will told me this thing was touchy but damn...
b5U98Kn.jpg

Rainbow Milie - Another one I've had for a few months. To me a more unique color rainbow in my collection. Not fully colored up yet but the base is a purple that swirls into a blue /w reddish polyps & green polyps. Was alot more vibrant when grown under LED but has dulled since placing under t5s..

DqdCqG2.jpg

RR Rescue - Got this piece about 5 months ago completely bleached, no polyp extension from a buddy who couldn't bear to look at it anymore. Here's a photo of it after a month of being place into my tank and finally showing some polyp extension.

2/16/16
nG85DTZ.jpg

6/10/16
vhDeBdU.jpg

4 months later and it's beginning to look like a gem.. First off, polyps are green! Second tips are yellow.. Base color is TBD, I believe it'll be a very unique off purple. :cool:

Last edited:
Because of small earthquake here in CA, I'm awake..

Here's some progression shots of the Walt Disney.

4/2-4/10 ?
F1B85kX.jpg

6/10
s75xUGj.jpg

npMsSDJ.jpg

That's scary.. The earthquake.
Your colours, however, are scary good!
Some of the best I've seen.
Very nice!
That wild yellow looks very pickachu..
I have a piece of lady in pink which is in the process of developing colour. I think it has potential but so far it's not outstanding in my tank.

That's scary.. The earthquake.
Your colours, however, are scary good!
Some of the best I've seen.
Very nice!
That wild yellow looks very pickachu..
I have a piece of lady in pink which is in the process of developing colour. I think it has potential but so far it's not outstanding in my tank.

Earthquakes aren't that scary Matt. I once experienced quite a strong earthquake at a very intimate time, if you know what I mean:twitch:

After pausing for a moment to note that it was happening and reassure the missus, i completed my "task":dance:

Living in California my whole life, I don't get freaked out by them...

Earthquakes aren't that scary Matt. I once experienced quite a strong earthquake at a very intimate time, if you know what I mean:twitch:

After pausing for a moment to note that it was happening and reassure the missus, i completed my "task":dance:

Living in California my whole life, I don't get freaked out by them...

I ran around the house screaming earthquake just to freak out my gf :D

Just thought I should post a update. It's been a few busy work weeks and I've let my tank go. Lost my appleberry monti to RTN and other things started showing patchy spots in different areas of acros. Tested and found my alk to be 5.4, apparently my acros have been growing. In the last month I went from 60 to 80 to 110ml and it still doesn't seem to be enough.

Maybe I'll snap some pics later since I have the day off.

Back