Scrapz's Ultimate Gamble 3x3 SPS Cube

It's a never ending game for me. I keep messing with new things in the tank since watching sps grow isn't any fun.

This week I took my calcium reactor offline because it's wasn't necessary for this stage of my tank and was just wasting electricity. I began dripping kalk instead using a drip kit from premiumaquatics and 4.5lbs of ESV Kalkwasser. Dosage wise, I'm using the bear minimum at 1/2 a teaspoon per gallon of water and dripping at a rate of 2 drips per second. I am now hover at 8.25 low (8.09 previous) and high of 8.37 (8.23 previous). My ato has probably turned on 3-4 times total in the past week. The corals have responded tremendously. Is it more par from the LED/T5 combom the higher ph and more consistent parameters or just the tank just hitting that sweet spot? No idea but whatever it is, it's working and I'm going to let ride it out.

Here are some quick top down pics with my cell phone under different lighting setups.

4823Sbe.jpg

Insane Pink Millie- (top down under regular 10k shoplight)
Just a single color millie with large seperation between the corallites that allow you to really see the pink extend through the white body.

AN8mABi.jpg

Crayola - Under 10k Shoplights
Sold to me as a crayola when someone's tank was being torn down. Was pretty much green brown when I received it but it's been cooking under in the QT for about a month. It's picking up some purple/blue tips and some dark polyps. Will be interesting to see how this one turns out.

xcr3xf7.jpg

Reef Raft Sabertooth - 250W Radiums on Galaxy HQI

Picked this one up also from the same person I picked the frag up from above. This was pretty much dead but noticed it's cool growth and asked what it was, found out it was a sabertooth so I had to take the gamble since it was dirt cheap. This one had a really short QT (yes, I broke my rule) and went into my display. It's been 1+ months and this guy has colored up surprisingly fast. He's been at the top of my tank hammered by 400W the majority of the time. Only since switching to t5/LED has time piece really come to life. Pics do it no justice.

Last edited:
Man things are looking good in there!
You have a great collection of frags.
Gonna be awesome when they start growing out.
Good to see the green algea monster has gone away.

Tank is looking great! I noticed the same thing as you regarding the Oregon tort and LED/T5. Too much green! I'm adding some additional LEDs to mine shortly to hopefully combat some of the coral spectrum shift.

Been quite busy with life these past few weeks. Overall both tanks are doing well but the frag tank is still superior in color and growth.

The main tank seems to have finally adjusted to the LED/T5 swap. I am running all blue LED channels @ 95% for 8 hrs. T5 bulbs have been switched back to the classic 2 blue +and 2 whites(AB Special). Must be the age but I quite enjoy the look of a 14k tank. Corals seemed to really respond well to this color combo.

Cyano is still rampant but is slowly dying down. It seems that since over 1/2 the snails died, the remaining population of snails seem to be alot more active in cruising the tank and taking care of business. Is this what you meant by self regulating Biggles?

I visited maoiwowie again and picked up some great healthy corals at a steal.

Sublata? Tenuis? No idea. Just going to call it a maoiwowie. True to life colors. The colors on this piece are so deep and rich.
iVn7P1c.jpg

Reef Raft Wolverine - Purchased this for $150. Yes, the whole colony.:thumbsup:
nfR3y4e.jpg

Tank is looking great! I noticed the same thing as you regarding the Oregon tort and LED/T5. Too much green! I'm adding some additional LEDs to mine shortly to hopefully combat some of the coral spectrum shift.

It's the spectrum. I believe alot of us are running too blue of a spectrum even when running T5s. Red such as Fiji Purple or coral blue seem to make the tank too red. Honestly, AB Special is my fave bulb for the t5/LED combo and has brought most corals back to their "original" color as seen under T5 or MH.

It's the spectrum. I believe alot of us are running too blue of a spectrum even when running T5s. Red such as Fiji Purple or coral blue seem to make the tank too red. Honestly, AB Special is my fave bulb for the t5/LED combo and has brought most corals back to their "original" color as seen under T5 or MH.

I totally agree. Right now I'm VERY heavily blue in my lighting. Trying to even it out with additional LEDs and swapping a blue bulb for a Coral+.

I totally agree. Right now I'm VERY heavily blue in my lighting. Trying to even it out with additional LEDs and swapping a blue bulb for a Coral+.

Whoops I meant coral plus. If you have a friend with a AB Special, I recommend trying it out. I hate that bulb in my typical full T5 configs but it really worked out this time.

Those new pieces are very saturated with yummy colors mate, surprised you paid so little given what i normally see guys being charged for primo colors like those. :dance:

I'm glad you're a tinkerer and sperimenter - not everyone is cut out for watching grass grow.......:p

Been quite busy with life these past few weeks. Overall both tanks are doing well but the frag tank is still superior in color and growth.

The main tank seems to have finally adjusted to the LED/T5 swap. I am running all blue LED channels @ 95% for 8 hrs. T5 bulbs have been switched back to the classic 2 blue +and 2 whites(AB Special). Must be the age but I quite enjoy the look of a 14k tank. Corals seemed to really respond well to this color combo.

Cyano is still rampant but is slowly dying down. It seems that since over 1/2 the snails died, the remaining population of snails seem to be alot more active in cruising the tank and taking care of business. Is this what you meant by self regulating Biggles?

I visited maoiwowie again and picked up some great healthy corals at a steal.

Sublata? Tenuis? No idea. Just going to call it a maoiwowie. True to life colors. The colors on this piece are so deep and rich.
iVn7P1c.jpg

Reef Raft Wolverine - Purchased this for $150. Yes, the whole colony.:thumbsup:
nfR3y4e.jpg

Oh man! I am seriously lusting after those two amazing pieces!!
$150 for that wolverine is a ridiculous deal.. And it's niiiice!!
The other one looks a lot like my orange passion..
Nice!!

So glad you like the pieces. Man i must confess they look better in your tank than mine! I tried looking back at my records to see where I got that "Maoiwowie" piece. Mysteriously I have no records of it either. I know it wasnt from a fellow reefer. It probably came in faded and ugly like the Wolverine and got ignored. You opened the flood gates now though. You dont know how many people have come by asking for a chip of that piece. Im happy the only frag so far went to a passionate reefer...

So glad you like the pieces. Man i must confess they look better in your tank than mine! I tried looking back at my records to see where I got that "Maoiwowie" piece. Mysteriously I have no records of it either. I know it wasnt from a fellow reefer. It probably came in faded and ugly like the Wolverine and got ignored. You opened the flood gates now though. You dont know how many people have come by asking for a chip of that piece. Im happy the only frag so far went to a passionate reefer...

Hah! It's all in the photography trickery. All I did was move it from your tank to mine.

Thanks again for the piece, it's definitely one of my new faves. When you said you would frag it, I didn't think you would cut half your colony! I'll be sure to pass a few frags around to make sure it stays around the hobby.

Remember we were talking about light colors from t5s? Well here is a frag of the frogksin I originally got from you.. Totally different but in this case I'm loving the t5 coloration..

JeDrBXP.jpg

the one I got from you a few days ago
971tUdq.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing colours indeed, but also excellent photography. These pics are so much better than those at the start of the thread.

Thanks! Getting a few tips from the fellow members has definitely helped improve my shooting a bit.

7mr8yLX.jpg

Anacrapora - Seems to be a fast grower, pretty much sprouted most of those new branches within 2 months.

2PJcnaM.jpg

Upscales Microlados - This has been in this system the longest. Cut from a frag of a frag I received .Growth has been great and it's pretty much doubled in size but still no color. The purple polyps are coming in.

2FehnlF.jpg

Oregon Tort - It's taken the LED switch really well. You can see the nubs are much more denser, color is deeper and little growth nubs sprouting everywhere.

ajTkchJ.jpg

Reef Raft Unknown - Really digging the growth structure and small polyps. Suppose to pull a red base along with a few more colors. Just a waiting game.

1r52dhd.jpg

Reef Raft Pink Floyd - Been cooking for this for quite a while in the QT tank. It was finally moved over to the main tank today. :celeb3:

Back