Scrapz's Ultimate Gamble 3x3 SPS Cube

Gold rush milli is sweet! I have a wild piece that was starting in that direction but I moved it and brown ever since.

Man you've got some awesome pieces there. What skimmer are you running on this system? Also what is the filtration? Sorry if it's somewhere in the thread. My little one cracked my laptop screen so only got use of my phone for browsing.

Sorry, this thread is a little sloppy. I should PM a mod to edit my first post with the specs of the tank.

Filtration is provided by whatever live rock you see in the display, I'm guessing about 60 lbs. The tank is drained and T'ed off to my refuge section which has receives a lower turnover rate then the skimmer section. The first section holds about another 50lbs of live and whatever natural algae grows there. Whenever I'm having issues with algae, they light is lit for about 18 hrs a day until the problem is fixed.

Here's a old pic of that section working. You could see a thick coating of cyano everywhere. The baffles turned into a turf scrubber, all the rocks were sticky with brown film. Was kinda cool tbh..

vGhPfH9.jpg

The 2nd chamber houses my skimmer, a SWC 230A. This section houses abbout another 20lbs of rock. This portion of my sump receives much higher flow to keep the detritus lifted allowing my Here a pic of it after 1.5 weeks of running super dry.

uCaeKKZ.jpg

Lastly the return chamber houses 4L of siporax. I just added this a little over 2 weeks ago and as far as I can tell, it's doing it's job. The algae was subsiding in the tank before the addition of siporax but at a slower pace. Could just be coincidence in timing but I plan to add another 5 or so liters.

Tip to those making eggcrate containers for 15mm sized sipo, make your containers smaller but taller. You'll drive yourself crazy if you build it like mine.

ewnBQ1D.jpg

Gold rush milli is sweet! I have a wild piece that was starting in that direction but I moved it and brown ever since.

The seller has had had multiple pieces with new growth of the same color. Hopefully mine will keep its color.

Here's a topdown which really shows the gold into yellow transition.
HHny6Wi.jpg

Pink Panther - Acquired 4/4/16. A unique ugly coral that has been tank grown for 3+ years. Kinda cool to have such a ugly color in my tank
U02knTT.jpg

Ora Blue Iris - Had this since the beginning. Made a few frags to share with buddies already. Took 2+ months to adjust but growth has been phenomenal after that. In the pic is also PC Rainbow (bot R) and a unique green millie a buddy passed me.

w7SZ0HR.jpg

ATL Jolene Acro - Received from s2k.

JIJOUvr.jpg

Love cubes!!! Love the scape!! Love your tank man!! Insane corals you have there! Will be awsome to see this system grow!!

FTS from 4/6/16 under DIY T5/LED using 2 Blue+ and 2 Aquablue Specials.

Look at that. No algae:D
IbpJ03f.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome! Your tank is really looking good. I love the aquascape, when those corals fill in it's going to be really beautiful!

About a month ago, I plumbed both the frag tank and main system together. It just made more sense to have everything tied together and reduce the fluctuations in both systems. After merging the system, the system just seemed to balance out. I believe it's hit that point where things are just going to grow crazy. At least I hope so.....

So far it's just water 10% water changes every 2-3 weeks whenever the corals look like they need a perk up.

EjnVB82.jpg

pT8BOEI.jpg

Icefire Echinata - Bali? Placed on my sandbed as a tester for par. Think it passes for color and growth..
lR95FTN.jpg

Another FTS from today. Happy :wildone:

wcfRPZr.jpg

Back