Mixed 500 gal. A.G.E. build. 12 unit LED Radion lights.

Achilles, Blonde Naso, Chevron, Convict, Kole, Lavender, Mimic Lemon Peel, Mimic Eibli, Orangesshoulder, Sailfin, Scopas, Tomini, Blue Unicorn, purple, Vlamingii, and Yellow

I just tried regenerating my GFO . High capacity GFO runs $162.00 a gallon. I use 6 cups in my reactor. This adds up to a lot of money.
i just got done with 6 cups. my phosphates are at .32 with the Hana test.
I will recheck after running the regenerated GFO next saturday

Dave,

How did the regenerated GFO work out?

Joe

Dave,

How did the regenerated GFO work out?

Joe

Seems to be working I'm still on my 1st batch. I tested tank water today it was .09 and tested water coming out of reactor it is at .03. So I guess any reduction is good.
I hope others can chime in on this topic. If I can get this to work I will save tons of cash

So how did you attach your starboard to the bottom of the tank if you did attach it? Did you just go around the edge of the starboard or did you secure it all over the bottom?

I got a 1/4" sheet of HDPE to use in mine was thinking I would do the same. Just dont like the look of bare bottom glass. How did you cut yours? I have a varible speed jig saw and just picked a boat load for blades on sale 2 weeks ago at harbor frieght

At a 1/4 i would probably secure it all over the bottom. It cuts pretty easy I used a skilsaw.
I know it is kinda costly but if your going bare bottom this looks so much better then glass

David,
I'm curious as to what your dosing to get colors and growth. I saw you regenerate your GFO which is something I considered but was scared of any lye leaching in to my tank and didn't want to chance it. The regenerated GFO is at what PO4 level coming out of the reactor? Also I'm considering prodibio since the cost will be almost the same as GFO more or less but the benefits are better regarding PO4 and nitrate results. Something to ponder.

Btw, my tank kept crashing for he past 2 years and couldn't figure out what it was. Gave some feather calurpa to a friends tank and told me the next morning the water was cloudy and all his corals closed up. Throws out the calurpa does. A massive water change calls me frantic that now he knows what My problem is why my corals keep dying besides this yellow. Tail cleaner wrasse that was killing them as well. The calurpa was the culprit and who knew! It was releasing toxins in to the water to gain territory and kill any other algae or coral to take hold. I am now doing a 600 gallon water change and am optimistic I can grow corals again. I hope mine will grow as nice as yours.

David,
I'm curious as to what your dosing to get colors and growth. I saw you regenerate your GFO which is something I considered but was scared of any lye leaching in to my tank and didn't want to chance it. The regenerated GFO is at what PO4 level coming out of the reactor? Also I'm considering prodibio since the cost will be almost the same as GFO more or less but the benefits are better regarding PO4 and nitrate results. Something to ponder.

I was mixing amino acids in with food, but I haven't done that in a while and the corals show it.
From what I read if you do leave a little lye in all it will do is raise your alk so rinse it well as you wont want to raise alk to much.
I'm still trying to figure this out. My tank phosphate is at .15 and coming out of reactor PO4 is .09 so i guess this is good.

Btw, my tank kept crashing for he past 2 years and couldn't figure out what it was. Gave some feather calurpa to a friends tank and told me the next morning the water was cloudy and all his corals closed up. Throws out the calurpa does. A massive water change calls me frantic that now he knows what My problem is why my corals keep dying besides this yellow. Tail cleaner wrasse that was killing them as well. The calurpa was the culprit and who knew! It was releasing toxins in to the water to gain territory and kill any other algae or coral to take hold. I am now doing a 600 gallon water change and am optimistic I can grow corals again. I hope mine will grow as nice as yours.

I had no idea feather calurpa would do this

just for fun
IMG_5962_zps8d494517.jpg

I was blaming my dead corals on the radions when actually it was the Calurpa.
This was because they were both introduced at the same time. Stick to cheato, graceleria and ulva. Stay away from everything else. Figured this out too late cause now I have my 5 400 watt mh 20k radiuums with my 8 radion pros. Best of both worlds I guess.

Still what do you think about the prodibio instead of GFO?

Back