Scrapz's Ultimate Gamble 3x3 SPS Cube

Oh baby. That's a serious collection in your frag system..
I'm very interested to see that WD grow out..
Get it in the display, man!!!
Great colors!

I really want to but at the moment im unsure if im going to take the tank down. The colors in my display dont look as vibrant in photos due to the whiter spectrum but when i moved some frags over from the dt to the ft, the colors were so much richer and deeper them the frags grown under t5.

For now its getting predominantly pink.. well see..

Finally got a day off to dedicate some time to my tank and actually write a post with some updates on the tank.

A few things that has happened over the past few weeks. I went back to 2 part dosing via my trusty Bubble Magus TM-01 because dripping Kalk was giving me unstable parameters due to the drip line constantly clogging. At one point, I dropped to 370 CA and 6.7 ALK. I will add kalk back into the mixture but through the use of a reactor the next time around . The reason I'm not using the CA reactor atm is because the gaskets are leaking right now and I've been too lazy to order it.

First was the testing and good thing I finally got around to it. Alk had dropped from 9.3 to 7.7,c alcium test fine @ 420 so I only raised my alk dosing up by 10ml. I'm currently dosing b-ionic @ 50ml Alk & 35ML CA, I think I probably diluted the alk mixture too much. Magnesium testing showed 1250ppm but a few friend suggested I raise it to 1400, apparently I dosed too much and went from 1250 to 1500 ppm in 24 hrs, as of now nothing looks to be affected. In fact, corals are already starting to show signs of improvement. My 2 favorite deepwater pieces are starting to pull their third colors..

I do have a dilemma though, I just picked up a 72x36x28 from a buddy for about $150:uhoh3:. Setting this up would mean tearing down this tank down completely and rearranging my garage. I could do this within 24-48 hrs I'm sure but he corals IMO are doing great and I would hate to lose all this progress. Unfortunately I am running out the room in the display and can already tell by the time I move the rest of my corals, the tank will be crammed. I haven't even moved 75% of the corals from my FT to my display yet..

Anyways heres some pics of the FT shot under T5s. Think my camera settings are off from the trip up to SD, looks a bit overexposed?

A wild piece I've been coloring up from a friend. He gave it to me completely bleached white about 2 months ago and it's regained full zoo. Bottom right tip is all new growth. I'm excited about how this piece will turn out, hoping for some orange, green and yellow..
AfBmJWj.jpg

Another wild piece I split a while ago that was bleached and recovering. Yellow has definitely come through now waiting on that red.. Acquired 5/1
tkVUXhR.jpg

Jason Fox's Flame Tip Acro - Acquired 5/1- bustayanky
p1nrNDv.jpg

Rommel's Original Rainbow Acro(L) & Pro Corals Rainbow (R)
3uqkxPn.jpg

Ugly behind the scenes of the FT plumbed into my 6 ft sump that I share with the display.
B3zEZMy.jpg

Nu86T9k.jpg

Last edited:
Oooooh! Those are some nice frags!

Oh and "trusty" and "Bubble Magus" probably shouldnt be used in the same sentence:p

Oooooh! Those are some nice frags!

Oh and "trusty" and "Bubble Magus" probably shouldnt be used in the same sentence:p

Considering I've had them since they came out and it's never failed me or my friends, definitely trusty. Jebao on the other hand...

Personal experience? I just googled bubble magus tm01 overdose and failure couldnt find any on the first page. Just wondering how you came to the conclusion.

I'm just joking, the Bubble Magus Equipment is all knock-offs and seems flimsy to me. I seem to remember the heads on those stripping out and not dosing reliably. If you have had a good experience then that is good:)

I'm just joking, the Bubble Magus Equipment is all knock-offs and seems flimsy to me. I seem to remember the heads on those stripping out and not dosing reliably. If you have had a good experience then that is good:)

All good, I just dont want someone new entering the hobby to think the BM are junk when they are not. My heads were dosing 160ml+ daily for years and only had to replace 2 heads @ $25 a piece in 5 years. I do not think it was the heads that were going bad but the tubing and even that is a wear and tear item on CP pumps.

All good, I just dont want someone new entering the hobby to think the BM are junk when they are not. My heads were dosing 160ml+ daily for years and only had to replace 2 heads @ $25 a piece in 5 years. I do not think it was the heads that were going bad but the tubing and even that is a wear and tear item on CP pumps.

The real problem with the Bubble Magus pumps is that they are friction driven but can't be calibrated. Chinese reefing products are at the point now where comparatively Jebao is a better pump only because it can be calibrated. It uses the same pump/head design and basic electronics. Nothing wrong with either pump but the friction heads are just not accurate when you start to get to the larger dosing amounts (50+ml) as they have a tendency to slip.

Jebao is basically where Bubble Magus was 5 years ago. I remember when I bought my first NAC6 and T01 for next to nothing people gave me tons of crap for buying "Chinese Crap" and now the skimmers and dosing pumps are hundreds of dollars. SCAquariums followed a very similar path with their products.

Bottom line (as with any product), if it's working for your tank and your application and you're happy with it, who cares what anyone else thinks!

Anyways heres some pics of the FT shot under T5s. Think my camera settings are off from the trip up to SD, looks a bit overexposed?

Frag system looks great! If you know you're going to be in the same home for several more years go with the upgrade!

Frag system looks great! If you know you're going to be in the same home for several more years go with the upgrade!

Highly considering it or the other plan is to put a 48x24x24 display in my living room. Decisions decisions.

seeing those frags my jaw just dropped to the floor... man that hurts :D

awesome frags!! :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Thanks! Hopefully I can start sharing some with people in the next year.

Nice frags!
As for the new tank.. Go big or go home!
Wait.. You are home....
Go big at home!! :)

So much work but I think it has to be done..

So the main tank is being torn down in preparation for another tank. Don't know if I'll be moving this cube into my home or not. We'll see..

Can't figure out what is going on with my camera, the pictures seem super exposed or my shutter speed is closing way to fast. Thoughts anyone?

Oregon Tort I'm selling locally..
vKbHL9X.jpg

Diablic Pacman vs Pink Floyd - Some say it's the same coral but I've been growing these two out next to each other and yellows for one are different so far. The DP has a more greenish/yellow tip vs a solid yellow on the PF. The inner bodies are also different, the DP almost gets almost a grey inner body.
wJFs0xL.jpg

Tyree Hellfire - Didn't realize how crazy this piece was until I was able to take topshot shot after moving it from the display to the frag tank. AquaSD rainbow mille to the R for comparison..
CEu36at.jpg

Tanzanite Terror - Stayed brown for months but colors are starting to come in. Understand the hype about this piece now.
2wfqv4T.jpg

Tyree Blue Matrix - :cool:
h17dimT.jpg

Pink Lemonde - Appleberry Monti
h3DSfYZ.jpg

RRA Ultimate Orange Passion - Finally got the gold polyps. Becoming one of my favorite of the tenuis hauls.
zPtwVof.jpg

Back